The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage Vandalism
Scandalous. Whoever did this should be publicly flogged. What a crying shame.
Looks in far better condition than the Ruby recently discussed on here.
So what happens to all the saveable Ruby saloons turned into Ulster replicas now as far as Vscc is concerned?
I must admit that I can see "right" in both camps here. Yes, it's a crying shame that such an original looking vehicle can't / won't be saved as is, but at the same time it is good that it's history continues as a Special.

Whilst the prices of specials is so dramatically greater than for a similar saloon the temptation will always be there. This isn't always driven by profit either. Personally I'd love to own a really nice special, however, the chances of me ever being able to spend the sort of money required, is to say the least slim. I could however, more easily buy a decent "donor" car & create my own for a fraction of the price. I'm not saying I ever would, but it is certainly a lot more "financially viable" than buying one outright.

On the face of it the VSCC's policy seems to be the right thing to do, but there are many known examples where what is & isn't a recoverable body depends more on whether your face fits, than the condition of the donor vehicle.
(20-10-2020, 04:36 PM)mk1-mark Wrote: I must admit that I can see "right" in both camps here.  Yes, it's a crying shame that such an original looking vehicle can't / won't be saved as is, but at the same time it is good that it's history continues as a Special.

Whilst the prices of specials is so dramatically greater than for a similar saloon the temptation will always be there.  This isn't always driven by profit either.  Personally I'd love to own a really nice special, however, the chances of me ever being able to spend the sort of money required, is to say the least slim.  I could however, more easily buy a decent "donor" car & create my own for a fraction of the price.  I'm not saying I ever would, but it is certainly a lot more "financially viable" than buying one outright.

On the face of it the VSCC's policy seems to be the right thing to do, but there are many known examples where what is & isn't a recoverable body depends more on whether your face fits, than the condition of the donor vehicle.

I didn't put my hand in my pocket to buy this car, so my ire can only go so far, however much I decry what has been done. As Mark says, money will out. 
However, in over 30 year's of VSCC membership the accusation that you can get away with such vandalism "if your face fits" isn't what I've seen.

Charles
(20-10-2020, 04:36 PM)mk1-mark Wrote: .....................what is & isn't a recoverable body depends more on whether your face fits, than the condition of the donor vehicle.

Might have sometimes been the case in the VSCC years ago, Mark, but I can guarantee that that is certainly not the case now nor has it been for many years. Each case is considered on its individual merits and at length no matter who the owner is. The main problem is that it is often not possible to trace back a car's story particularly when it's presented with a newly issued age related number. Even then, such things as chassis and engine numbers are checked against what records exist and are available (Association Register for example) although it has to be said that they seldom appear there. 

Steve
I am REALLY pleased to hear this. I have heard a couple of real horror stories, albeit from a number of years ago. It is great news that this issue is now handled fairly & equitably.
Don't believe everything you hear on this subject, Mark. As that bloke in the USA might say, 'Fake News, Fake News'. Whilst the VSCC might not always get it right, we try very, very hard not to. Regretfully, particularly where money is involved, my considerable experience of the subject tells me that some people are rather less honest than they might appear to be but it can sometimes be all but impossible to prove it. That situation is certainly not unique to the VSCC.

Steve
Seems to me that rather than point fingers, the Austin Seven movement would do well to be as careful of its own cars’ heritage as the VSCC is.
Alan Fairless
The problem is there are plenty of people who will sink good money into creating a sporting 'vintage' special who have no interest in joining the VSCC. There are now prestige events like the 1000 Mile Trial which actively encourages such cars without any policing.
I know of a late Nippy with a three bearing pressure fed engine which was in a bad way bodywork wise, which got broken up and the parts sold off in the last few years. If I had know the fate awaiting it I would have bought it to keep all the parts together. ( Less money than I purchases a damaged Nippy Engine for this year )