The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7CA Zooms into the 21st century today!
Ian, was great to see you today!

I was beginning to think that I had escaped “modernisation” but I now know that was nothing more than a flight of fancy! Confused
A brilliant solution and so much easier than driving but could be so much better for the minute taker if all 'attandees' used their full name   Huh

Many seem to think nom de plumes , or just first nqames are better to what ? conceal their identity ?

Google knows much more  about you than your name  Big Grin
Tony - I think the reason for the 'nom de plumes  or just first names' is lack of knowledge on how to use the Zoom program rather than paranoia. I spent some time at the beginning of the session trying to tell someone how to change their Zoom name into something that was more meaningful.
It's quite useful to have a 'play' with the program on your own  to work out how to change the name, mute/unmute, use the Chat function, and so on. I'm always happy to have a one-on-one session with anyone to try and help, although I have to admit that iPads are completely outside my comfort zone.
This is no different to a face to face meeting - unless people are wearing name badges!

Any Chair worth their salt will take time to introduce or allow people to introduce themselves, the organisation they represent and anything else of relevance.

That is of course exactly what happened yesterday - let’s encourage this guys!
Zoom has a transcripts facility apparently.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/article...recordings-

Could save time for the minute taker!
Nothing to do with Sevens but    "Hair today - gone tomorrow Jimmy " our only 'barber' in Bantry had a sign :  

Three styles only---
Left parted, Right parted ---  Departed !

Sorry Phil - should have typed Bald -on .

I'm as guilty as the rest of you now.

Ian (Known locally as Oliver Paynter- Guinness)
Having read Tony's comment, I looked back at the images that were posted and pretty much everyone seemed to have their given name displayed. I would imagine that that name is defaulted to a system setting (dependant on the platform being used), but there is the ability in Zoom to change the default that it otherwise uses if it is felt needed.

https://support.palcs.org/hc/en-us/artic...Zoom-Rooms

However, in the meeting, it was clear who the attendees were and, as with a 'normal' A7CA meeting, all the delegates were introduced and said hello. I think it unlikely anyone would want to conceal their identity.

As has been said before, this was a remarkably succesful meeting - even more so considering it was the first time we had attempted it. In light of experience,  we are already talking about changing certain things to permit even more peope to take part in the future. We saved a huge amount of fuel and people didn't have to get out of bed in the early hours to drive to and from Dunchurch, saving them hours in their day (for example, it saved me getting on for 4 hours of driving). At least one person attended their first meeting in 15 years and there were other who had never been able to attend.  This has the potential to be a huge step forward for the Association and its member Clubs and Registers and is ony to be encourgaged...

Hugh
Howard doesn't look very happy. And I didn't realise quite how tall David Cochrane was. Derek gets the award for product placement.
(12-10-2020, 10:34 AM)Archivist Wrote: Having read Tony's comment, I looked back at the images that were posted and pretty much everyone seemed to have their given name displayed. I would imagine that that name is defaulted to a system setting (dependant on the platform being used), but there is the ability in Zoom to change the default that it otherwise uses if it is felt needed.

https://support.palcs.org/hc/en-us/artic...Zoom-Rooms

However, in the meeting, it was clear who the attendees were and, as with a 'normal' A7CA meeting, all the delegates were introduced and said hello. I think it unlikely anyone would want to conceal their identity.

As has been said before, this was a remarkably succesful meeting - even more so considering it was the first time we had attempted it. In light of experience,  we are already talking about changing certain things to permit even more peope to take part in the future. We saved a huge amount of fuel and people didn't have to get out of bed in the early hours to drive to and from Dunchurch, saving them hours in their day (for example, it saved me getting on for 4 hours of driving). At least one person attended their first meeting in 15 years and there were other who had never been able to attend.  This has the potential to be a huge step forward for the Association and its member Clubs and Registers and is ony to be encourgaged...

Hugh

I am sorry if my comment offended- as I said "A brilliant solution and so much easier than driving" . 

I was more directing my comment generally - given the sometimes haphazard camera placement it is often difficult to recognise people - how some use a phone for Zoom contact amazes me - I need t
he full desktop 24" screen and my glasses  Big Grin Age must be catching up  Angry
I found the experience very good and convenient as well. As I am hard of hearing, Zoom meetings let me hear clearly what is going on.

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD