The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fabric joint
Well after about 1000klms the rubber joint is done again.. must be to much horsepower.... haha.
Was the original joint made of layers of leather? I have tried to search this up with no luck. Anyone know this?
You are lucky I've had one's bought 10 years ago last between 50 and 750 miles and I gave up and fitted a Hardy Spicer shaft. Whilst another of our car's has done about 10,000 on a coupling bought 20 years ago from Dave Phillips.
I bought a fabric coupling from Seven Workshops 15 months and 6K miles ago, Still going strong with no signs of deterioration.
It looks like it's been rubbing on the outer circumference doesn't it? Is it catching the tunnel cover?
Is it rubbing on the handbrake adjusting screw ?
It seems that not all fabric couplings are created equal. The one in Simon's photo seems to only have 3 layers of fabric visible, whereas mine have about 12 layers:
[Image: Fabric%20coupling%202020.jpg]
There used to be a factory that made fabric couplings up here in Glasgow - some years ago it was bought over and all the equipment was moved to the Midlands (I think), where it has sat unused since I understand. Possibly due to nobody knowing how to operate it properly...
I have to go along with David C, not all fabric joints are created equal; and even the good ones can't, IMHO, hold a candle to a correctly designed and fitted Hardy Spicer joint - which is the path I eventually took and have no regrets for doing so.
    As soon as I looked at the original photo my first thoughts were, "there ain't much fabric in that coupling; it looks like an inadequate, cheap replacement." The ones which David's photo show are identical to joints that I have used in the past - and indeed sourced from A7C - without complaint. No connection other than as a satisfied customer.
The "good" ones look to be made from what we called, when I were a lad, "pit belting" on account of the materials primary use as conveyor belts down coal mines.
Thank you David C, I look forward to receiving your fabric joint, the one’s I have had in th past looked nothing like yours.
The past one had clearance all around and no rubbing,
I gave up with fabric couplings as they tend to catch the handbrake. I fitted one of David Cochrane's excellent Hardy Spicer shafts.
Jim