The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fabric joint
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am looking for info on what I may have done wrong on fitting.
This joint has only done about 500klms. Have I had the bolts too tight or loose? Are there different qualities? The drive shaft appears to be straight.

Hi Simon,
There was a batch produced that were a slightly smaller diameter than the originals. This made fitting difficult as the fibre had to be stretched to pass down the studs/bolts, my stretched to fit coupling resulted in a short life before failure.  I must stress that my one had been on the shelf for ages (years) before I used it. If you found the joint fitted easily and all the holes lined up OK, I cannot offer any advice I'm afraid, other than 'new old stock' or you got one of the dodgy ones.
All the best,
Peter
Thank you peter,
The fitment was nice, I didn't have to encourage it into place.
Has anyone tried making a leather one before or a different version?

Thanks
Simon
That looks to me like it's suffered impact damage rather than structural failure.
(27-11-2017, 11:36 AM)Simon Anderson Wrote: I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am looking for info on what I may have done wrong on fitting.
This joint has only done about 500klms. Have I had the bolts too tight or loose? Are there different qualities? The drive shaft appears to be straight.

Hi Simon, When fitting a new one make sure the hex on the bolt is sitting flush against the riveted plate and not on the rivet heads this goes for both sides as it will put a twist in the fabric and produce vibration 
I would be inclined to fit the same type as it does look like external damage
This is not a Criticism just an observation from the photo
all the best colin
Thanks Colin, any feedback is good thank you. The joint is starting to come apart in three place. As you pointed out regarding the stud heads and the rivets. I will make sure the new one I fit, is not fouling up on the rivets. Thanks for the tip
Although not looking for it I have just found in my 'spares department' ie. under the bench an unused fabric coupling. The one spotted by a fellow 7er with far better eye sight than me thought the raised rivits in the picture were causing problems, I agree as my under bench resident has flat head rivits allowing the shoulders of the studs to lay flat and in line. The only reason for this reply is spotting the coupling offered on a well-known auction site also had raised rivit heads, not flat.
Hope this is of help,
Peter
From the amount of fur exhibited all over the area around the coupling, and the shiny surface of the perimeter I would say the coupling was rubbing on the handbrake ratchet or floor until clearance was obtained. The resultant heat causing the de-lamination failure. 
I am not convinced the rivets in this photo have created sufficient deflection to be a worry.  cheers  Russell
I stand corrected.
Glad to hear you are tracking down just why it went pear shaped.
Peter.
After pondering my fabric joint dilemma for a few weeks, I decided to fab up a solid alloy joint dummy and bolted up the tail shaft up without the pot on. I weighted the car up as if I was in the car. What I fund was the end of the tail shaft was far from true or square, it was out to the left by 15mm and need to come up by 11mm to fine centre. After making four engine shims to find centre, we are in business now. Time will tell if my new joint will last longer then 500klms.