The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Arthur Waite pictures
More wonderful photographs.
The three Ulsters with Australian manufactured bodies built by Damyon Bros, Carlisle Street, St Kilda, Melbourne, were entered by the Austin distributors. All were normally aspirated.
Car 1, Cyril Dickason, car 2 Clarrie May and Harry Burkill in car 3. A further two Ulsters were also entered, Kennedy and McKinney in 4 and 10 respectively.
These all competed in the Vistorian LCC 200 Miles Race ( 31 laps ), the 3rd Australian GP at Phillip Island, Monday 24th March 1930.
A very mixed field of cars, Bugatti, Morris, Standard, Triumph.
Dickason finished 3rd behind two Bugattis, May crashed and rolled, but was uninjured, Burkill 4th and McKinney 5th, four minutes later!
A photo of Damyon Bros. Motor Body Works, confirming they commenced manufacturing in 1885. They also built touring bodies for 3 litre Bentleys that were also imported to Melbourne as rolling chassis.
The Australian cars...

Are these cars actually on 'Ulster' chassis or given the date of the Grand Prix, 24 March 1930 and the time taken to ship chassis from Longbridge to Melbourne and for bodies to be built, perhaps A9 or B series Supersports? 
The Dickason car has a Supersports type exhaust manifold.
Are there any records of car numbers or chassis numbers?
Did the Supersports have the lowered suspension of later cars? This is another of Tony Johns' pics which clearly shows the front suspension:

.jpg   TJ-A7-1930-03-18-03-68-CRD-tuning-A7-Cowes.jpg (Size: 151.47 KB / Downloads: 414)
To answer Henry's question Super Sports or Ulster, on the reverse of the Cyril Dickason photograph in Mike's post, he refers to it as an Ulster. Other photos in the same Dickason album refer to the 1928 Capt. Waite car as a Super Sport. As sales manager of Austin Distributors I feel certain he knew the difference. 
On the rear of another photo the word Brooklands model has been crossed out and replaced with Ulster.
Tony Johns.
(04-09-2020, 07:04 PM)Henry Harris Wrote: The Australian cars...

Are these cars actually on 'Ulster' chassis or given the date of the Grand Prix, 24 March 1930 and the time taken to ship chassis from Longbridge to Melbourne and for bodies to be built, perhaps A9 or B series Supersports? 

The close up frontal view of Dickason's car in Steve Kay's post shows what I would call an Ulster Front Axle.

Passenger Liners could do the UK to Australia Trip in 6-7 weeks in the late 20's - freight a little longer. Austin 7 bodies were often built in Melbourne ready for fitting when the chassis arrived .

Was his car supercharged ?
A8 series Super Sports were built on a "Special Supercharged Chassis for Experimental Department", lowered with flattened springs, bowed front axle and coupled brakes. Not all were supercharged.

This is Gunnar Poppe in a brand new Super Sports, OF 1857. Probably A8-6621, chassis 84055, engine unknown but between 82883 and 82889, supercharged. Built 30.4.29

(05-09-2020, 06:58 AM)Tony Press Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 07:04 PM)Henry Harris Wrote: The Australian cars...

The close up frontal view of Dickason's car in Steve Kay's post shows what I would call an Ulster Front Axle.

Passenger Liners could do the UK to Australia Trip in 6-7 weeks in the late 20's - freight a little longer. Austin 7 bodies were often built in Melbourne ready for fitting when the chassis arrived .

Was his car supercharged ?

Sorry, something went wrong.
No Tony, all normally aspirated
As we are now discussing Austin Seven Racing in Australia forum members may be interested in:

https://primotipo.com/2020/05/28/1928-10...ip-island/

My good friend Tony Johns has recently joined the Forum and is reliving his extensive Austin Seven racing history (you may remember him from his UK visit some 40 years ago).

Here is another site which gives some more stories about Australian racing Sevens:

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/21508...from-1928/

If encouraged I am sure Tony J will give provide more.

Please tell me if this is too much information!

Tony P.
As a "Newby" to this forum I am not sure if the following scans have been shared before. As Captain Arthur was born in Australia and my content is all Australian related I believe this is the best thread to use, Happy for moderators to move to a more appropriate area.
David Zeunert, the owner of these original brochures has kindly allowed me access to his collection so that I can share some of his Austin 7 collection with the Forum.

The display of Waite trophies is the back cover of an Austin Distributors brochure advertising the new 1927 Austin.

The second all relate to the salesman who worked all his life for Austin Distributors and was the source of David's collection of Austin brochures.