The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Arthur Waite pictures

Are these already well known images?
How did they ever get those white overalls clean? Has no 22 got hydr sas? what are the little boxes on the bonnets? Is the puddle under 91 from his radiator or sump? Cant see any carnkshaft bits. The tail pipe seems quite small. Was that a Brooklands specification? How did the photographer avoid smiles.? Did he take whilst pretending to set up? What country has so many Caucasians? Is that a high technology spy from the Weimacht in the background 52?
Smashing pictures Steve, I for one haven't seen them before.
Nor me. What was the source, Steve? Are they photos from your own collection?

The photos have been loaned by a friend, who "came upon them." Their provenance is uncertain, one reason for putting some on the forum is to see if they are already well known. If not, I'd like to make them available to the relevant archives. These are quick desk top copies using the smart phone. Now what do our historians know about these images? (Why is that schoolboy wearing a cap with a Crossley badge?)
Hmmm, relevant Archive, let me think...

Clearly of great interest and I would like to offer them a home where they can be researched better and conserved/preserved. I'll be in touch directly..

Hugh
They are all new to me, and look to be an important addition to our knowledge. Now we just need a competition to identify who, where and when!
These are very interesting photographs that are new to me.  The fact that three of them are close up shots from different angles of a particular car make them an invaluable reference.
The photo of Capt Waite in the cockpit of car 12 is most interesting.  Is that Murray Jamieson leaning over talking to him?  I think the lad with the schoolboy cap sporting a Maltese Cross is probably not a Crossley enthusiast!
The car also looks to have a semi-streamlined radiator cowl.
They would be a great addition to the Archive.
OK, let's start with the last pic. From left to right, Gunnar Poppe, Arthur Waite, Archie Frazer Nash and ... who?

This should be at the 1930 Ards TT; no 24 is Waite's car, and 23 beyond is the 'harlequin' car of Poppe (also seen in photo 3), but where have the 'dumb-iron covers' come from - neither car didn't raced with them fitted.
Mike,
The " who ?" could be Sid Crabtree who drove car 25, s/c Seven. Lap 4 saw his engine blow-up, Frazer Nash's did the same, Waite crashed, he suffering injuries but Poppe finshed...in 5th place.

Car 92. Second JCC Double Twelve, Brooklands 9/10th July 1930. Car driven by Frazer-Nash and Poppe. 
Six Sevens were entered, three were Works. 91 driven by Waite and Earl of March, 93, Barnes Bros. 
94,95 and 95 Private entrants.
Nash had a poor day with a constant misfire. 91 came 7th and 93 came 10th.