The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mudguard stays for a special - what size steel strip?
Before I go shopping for "massively too big" or "wish I'd got the thicker stuff" what's a starting point for steel strip to make mudguard stays?   Its a special so "what works" rather than "what's correct" but of course the factory DID know what they were doing...

Thinking two "straps" at the back, at the front triangulate to support the weight of the lamps "forward" and a single bit of strip to the rear.
Hi David

There was a thread on this subject a little while back.  Search “mudguards for an rtc special”.  I won’t comment further as a picture posted of my stays resulted in them being roundly condemned! They have been replaced since then  Smile.

Cheers

Howard
Thankyou !!!

The RTC thread mentioned:

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...guards+rtc

...which linked to this "for an Ulster Rep" {...which, turns out, never had cycle wings anyway Smile }

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...hp?tid=707
This is how I did it. Basic material 10mm x 20mm mild steel, fettled to my drawings by a local blacksmith/welder. The headlamp seating is a piece of tube welded in position with a top plate drilled to take the lamp fixing.

They are vibration free (steel mudguards) and have been in use for 7,500 mile/nine years without any problems

.jpg   strut01.jpg (Size: 40.18 KB / Downloads: 103)

.jpg   strut02.jpg (Size: 55.01 KB / Downloads: 103)

.jpg   strut03.jpg (Size: 55.58 KB / Downloads: 103)

.jpg   strut04.jpg (Size: 40.57 KB / Downloads: 103)

.jpg   strut05.jpg (Size: 45.25 KB / Downloads: 104)
Rick

In deepest Norfolk