The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slippery Anne at Curborough Sprint
(26-08-2020, 10:18 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: hi mark,

in many ways im a fan of originality.

but dont always stick to it?

especially with paint colours.

id suggest this is a new chapter in the cars history, and you have done the car proud with the rebuild. perhaps a new chapter needs a new colour.

tony.
Agreed with that very sensible remark Tony.
A magnificent machine!
HI Mark,
The Car says a lot a bout you Engineering Skills first time out and one small problem.
Hoping you and your son get a lot of enjoyment from driving it
Looking at the photo of John Pares you probably need to smoke and wear a tie to look real cool

Congratulations on a great project

Colin 
NZ
Mark whatever shade of green you settle on there is nobody who has any evidence to tell you its wrong.....and if they do come up with any you then have the choice.
I am curious as to why you have currently fitted the regular 7" centred wheels, is this out of concern that the 6" would not stand the rigours of sprinting?
Living 12000 miles away means there is little chance of seeing her in the flesh, some video footage of a run or two in anger would be fantastic.....he says hopefully!
Black Art Enthusiast
Ian asks about the wheels; I have indeed fitted some 7” Center wheels, which are specials made for me by Nick Mouat, they are multi spoked, because I wanted them really strong, She still has 6” brakes and the correct 6” wheels for show times, which Personally is all I would use them for.

I have posted a couple of video clips on my Instagram pages @markgeorge1210, one of which had revealed a suspension noise which I did not pickup in the car whilst driving her, I guess the helmet is an effective ear defender! It turned out to be a loose mounting bolt for the near side rear damper, which must be my fault for not tightening it properly in the first place, Not to sure about those engineering skills now, mmmmm!

In respect of painting her, or not, I am very happy with the current finish, and I like Tony’s guidance, but, cannot leave the Irish linen in clear dope as UV will eventually destroy the materials tensile strength, so at the very least it will need to be painted with silver dope.
The car will be back at Curborough on Bank holiday Monday for the Charity Sprint.

Regards, Mark
Mark - is there a website with the history of the car anywhere as I find myself reading but wanting to know more? What actually happened to the original body sections?
Mark what a truly wonderful project. You have moved mountains since we were on that course !

Personally I would paint her, as she always was, I like Tony also think as this is a new chapter in her life, you should paint her to please yourself.
It is likely as you think she would have been quite a lot darker as the remaining sample will have been subjected to the ravages of UV.

May I be bold and suggest that you take a look at BS 381C 227  Deep Brunswick Green.
Can I add my two penn'orth, as Nick says she was always painted, the Brooklands 750cc class H colour at the time was green, so to my mind she has to be green. Of course the actual shade may be subjective, are there any contemporary reports that describe the colour, Waites previous 1924 car was described as "apple green''. The surviving sample from Pares ownership looks distinctly hand painted, there are also extremely clear pictures of the car when apparently new with Waite seated where it look's far from hand painted, suggesting to me that there was at least one repaint. Is the later colour the same as the previous one, is there any evidence of this on the surviving fragment below the current green?
I would also suggest that the Factory would have used a colour from their contemporary catalogue, so if it were me I think I would be looking at 1925 Austin shades of Green and choosing the one I felt most appropriate.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Mark
Can white overalls still be purchased? When is your sons next birthday?
Hi Jon, the best sources are Beatrice Canning Brown, she covered the car rather well in her A7 competition history, she also wrote a dedicated article in the association mag a few years ago.
There is something in Motorsports on line archive, but it is riddled with inaccuracies.
The car went through various body configurations but was written off In a sadly fatal accident which destroyed the body.
Regards, Mark.