The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hank nuts
Hi Erich,
sorry for the slow reply I've only just been alerted to this discussion. I'm currently trialing making my own lot of 1/4 bsf hank nuts for my reproduction ulster. They are round not hexagonal like some hank nuts.. if successful, I could probably make a few extra. As Ian mentioned, you dont need a special setting tool,  just a hammer and dolly. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Cheers,
Athow
Thank you, Athow. If you are successful I will buy a half dozen or so from you. Doesn't the hammer have to have a cone shaped head to spread the lip? Would that be the rounded part of a ball pein hammer?

Erich in Seattle
(08-08-2020, 04:38 PM)Erich Wrote: Hi All, 

According to Chris Gould's fine guide to building Ulsters, the dash screws were attached to the brackets using countersunk hank nuts. I have looked online and only found hank nuts in metric sizes. As I would like to fit using 1/4 BSF, does anyone have a source for 1/4 BSF hank nuts, or alternatively, what metric size would I get to retap to 1/4 BSF?

Erich in Seattle

An M6 Rivet bush or 'Hank' nut will work, however it will need to be modified by fitting a 1/4 BSF thread insert.

Fitting instructions from the Northern Precision Ltd. website.....

Having been prompted by this thread I dug out a drawer marked rib it’s and found quite a number of hank nuts mostly 0 ,2 & 3 BA.
I don’t have much need for them so if anyone wants a few I’ll send them out for the cost of postage, no you can’t have them all, I’d prefer to spread them about as need arises
Thank you, Henry.

Erich in Seattle
Are these of interest?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qty-25-1-4-BS...SwUG1eLXaT

.jpg   s-l500.jpg (Size: 32.27 KB / Downloads: 208)
Hi Mike, Thank you. I've got some and may end up using. I was hoping to find BSF because as a fine thread, it is less prone to loosening. And steel is usually BSF, whereas alloy is WW. That said, if this is what I can get, then WW is what I'll use.

Erich in Seattle
I have made dozens of these things, now thanks to you lot I know what they are called Shy 
Ivan
Wellington NZ
I had not known what these were called until recently. Here in NA we have a number of names and variations. Nutsert, rivet nut, rivet bush, and a few others.

Erich in Seattle