The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hank nuts
Hi All, 

According to Chris Gould's fine guide to building Ulsters, the dash screws were attached to the brackets using countersunk hank nuts. I have looked online and only found hank nuts in metric sizes. As I would like to fit using 1/4 BSF, does anyone have a source for 1/4 BSF hank nuts, or alternatively, what metric size would I get to retap to 1/4 BSF?

Erich in Seattle
You won't buy anything metric that will retap satisfactorily Eric, 6mm is too close to 1/4 to clean up properly, you will need to turn some up on a lathe......I know a keen young enthusiast who is doing just that for his Ulster replica as we speak Smile
Black Art Enthusiast
Ian, would your young enthusiast be willing to turn up some additional ones? Of course, then there is the issue of the proper tool to pull them. Is he making one of those up in 1/4 BSF? These will be both for my Rep and my genuine car.

Erich in Seattle
I really believe 6mm could be retap to 1/4" Ian. I would not do that for life risks parts but there?
Yes Renaud you could run a 1/4 bsf tap through a 6mm hank nut but as I said it won't clean up properly. I guess if you want a bodge it would probably hold an instrument panel in place, Erich it would appear from his other posts would like things to be authentic, hence my comments.

We need Atho to comment directly if he wants to get involved in production but no harm asking. Hank nuts are set differently to Rivet Nuts which require a tool, the former can be set by hand.
Black Art Enthusiast
Of course . Sorry Ian, I did'nt realize Erich wanted period authenticity, my mistake. Only solution is machining then. And that's what I do indeed in such a case!
Yes, I would like to get them as correct as possible, both with my Rep and the genuine car.

Erich in Seattle
I know you are specifically looking for 1/4BSF, but this ebay vendor has BSW and BA. He also says he has more unlisted stock so it might be worth your while contacting him. I have no association with the seller.

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/torridonian
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
I think the bigger issue is finding 1/4 BSF raised head screws, have you been successful there Erich, if so would you please share your source with me?
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian,

Here is a source for zinc plated 1/4 BSF raised countersunk slotted screws. Obviously they would have to be plated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-X-5-8-BSF...1813613969

I just received some stainless 1/4 BSF raised countersunk slotted screws from Middleton. I can't find them on the site right now, but know they have them.

https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk

Erich in Seattle