The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bags on spare wheel
a company here in Canada "World Famous" sold backpacks very similar - not exactly this but...

https://www.amazon.ca/World-Famous-Web-R...047&sr=8-1

and

lots of choices generally on amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=vintage+canvas..._ss_i_3_15
You might look at Duluth packs from Duluth Tent and Awning. I have several of their packs I use on canoe expeditions. Well made and a lifetime guarantee. I think they will still make them custom in other colors, besides the ones listed. I have a couple of red ones, as the small green ones are easy to miss on the portage trails. They also make oiled canvas ones. I'm not keen on those as they still let water in and not out.
https://www.duluthpack.com/collections/packs

Erich in Seattle
Just my tuppence ha'penny but I always felt a side-mounted spare wheel must put a massive stress on the bodywork; a spare plus a packed haversack all the more so. Do make sure there is adequate structure to support it.

Plus of course it will get filthy and most likely soaked on any long journey! But if that's the only way you can fit stuff in then go for it.
At most French "ballades" for pre-war cars the open ones seem to go in for the ubiquitous Bergens style pack. Not quite sure why or how it's become "de rigeur". Keeping the champagne cool or the sandwiches warm? Tools and cognac for the mechanic?
I agree that without support a loaded pack will strain the mount of your spare although some of the mounts seem to be three-point strap affairs hanging from a piece of bodywork. I think I'd want a substantial shoe for support underneath.
In my part of the world such a spare mounted haversack would get plothered in horse sh*t.
I was amazed how much luggage I could get in the tail of my Ulster when I took it to the Isle of Man.  I prefer my luggage, tools etc to be stowed away under-cover.   Water has a way of getting into the most waterproof of things.
I think in some countries these spare wheel mounted satchels are useful for the spare pair of lederhosen?
Agree Malcolm, an astonishing amount (e.g. full camping gear) can be squeezed into the tail of an Ulster BUT likewise I would suggest to make some reinforcements if it is to be used for load carrying. I had to rebuild mine after it tried to part company from the rest of the body, it now has a very sturdy floor structure.
(26-07-2020, 03:01 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I think in some countries these spare wheel mounted satchels are useful for the spare pair of lederhosen?

I often wondered what was in them.

C
What? The lederhosen?
Alan Fairless
(26-07-2020, 06:35 PM)Alan Wrote: What? The lederhosen?

Steady on there Alan
Bratwurst!