The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insurance help needed
Hi Tony, just paid £104 for agreed value. PD valued at 12.5k. Would have been £81 without agreed value. Last year was £79. All with RHS. Btw I am 72. 
Kevin.
It all depend on the agree value, a Supersports is worth much much more than a box saloon.
I have my modern car on the same policy as my vintage cars all insured with RH.
I'm paying a total of £285 for 3 cars - 2 sevens and a Riley Tourer with a total stated value for all 3 cars £36,000. Vaguely in line with Ruairidh's suggestion of the 1% rule. I would imagine costs rise exponentially when the insured value of any particular car rises.. I am more than happy with RH costs. I have been with them pretty much since the start though. I don't know whether that makes a difference...
RH reduced my premium this year from £59 to £58 this year...
I pay £233 for two Nippies both valued at £15k. It was £60 for one about 20 years ago - not sure how that compares to inflation and new insurance taxes in that time but it does seem to have gone up quite a lot in the last few years.

When I insured my first car aged 17 the insurance cost was more than the price of the car. The broker said something like  "The cost of repairing your car is insignificant compared to the cost of repairing the bus stop full of people you crashed into" so other than commercial reasons I am not sure why the car value should be so such a factor or why insuring two cars is twice the price of insuring one.

I am with RH and my only complaint is that breakdown recovery, which I do not need, is not optional.
However . . my experience of RH breakdown assistance is much better than others I have used over many years of motoring.
Jim
Jim,
From what  I have read on here the RH breakdown service it is, as you say, excellent but at what cost? A quick search shows that even basic breakdown cover for a modern car is around £50 pa, maybe our A7's are more reliable or more likely most of us get to use them very little so the cost would be lower but why not give the option of not having it and cheaper insurance?
I would suggest that, with the specific 'Association' Austin 7 scheme, the savings come from a 'one size fits all' approach to the details of the cover. Start making such things optional, then the cost of the administration goes up, and the premium goes up accordingly. Is there a particular reason why you don't need Breakdown Insurance? (which, it should be pointed out, covers Europe as well as the UK)...
I can understand Dave's point on recovery.

If you only use your car for local trips, do you need recovery. Or would it be quicker/easier to sort it yourself.

Perhaps being forced to take the recovery, it will end up like PPI. and we will all claim back ££££ in years to come.

I did notice with RH club memberships does not seem to mean anything anymore?
I use my car all year round and cover considerable mileage including longer journeys.
However having been driving Sevens since 1964 and covering many thousands of miles, I've only had to be recovered once. The crankshaft broke in Highbridge. My wife retrieved me. Maybe I don't need recovery for the Austin.
However the two recoveries of my Citroen SM by RH were while it was settling down after being rebuilt from a pile of parts. One from a wild & remote place in The Scottish Borders, the other near home. Both were quick and efficient and the driver wasn't phased by the quirks of the car which made recovery not that easy - Hydraulic suspension, can only be towed backwards etc.
My modern cars have not fared so well and the long waits for recovery by 'premier' services in adverse conditions were not pleasant.
Jim