The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insurance help needed
Hi,
Could do with a little insurance advice.

It feels like prices are being hiked up, well to myself it does.

Today the supersports is now closing in on £200 for 3000 miles. Thats close to a modern small car insurance.

Thay have also quoted £118 for 3000 miles on a £15k chummy.

Taking into the fact that we were all supposed to be locked down from March to may. And most open top cars are layed up after september.

I appreciate people wont to divulge what they are paying.

But are these prices being paid by everyone. 

Or are there better companies to turn to.

Thanks tony.
I paid not much more than your Chummy cost for my blown Ulster which is worth somewhat more.

https://www.bishopcalway.co.uk/classic-car-insurance/

c
Once you go over £10k value the premiums seem come in at just under 1% of the car’s agreed worth, I am happy to put that up to protect the need to pay the other 99% - in the case of an all-out claim.

The direct comparison with my modern cars is that the premium is nearer 10% of the car’s worth.
Hi,
I've had the Nippy with Richardson Hoskens for about 30 years now. It's usually been around the £70 mark until this year's renewal when it came in at just over £170. When I queried it as nothing had changed, I was told it was "down to the underwriters and there's nothing I can do about it."
I tried some competitors but they were all substantially more expensive than RH (and without the breakdown cover etc) - anything up to  £483
from one of the well known insurers so, in the end, I stayed with RH for another year.
It looks like insurance costs are well and truly on the up but I guess an extra £2 a week or so isn't the end of the world - especially if the "unthinkable" was to happen.
Hope that helps a bit?
Best wishes,
Nick
Rh new ruby just cost me £57 for 6000
value and 3000 miles I'm 68
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
IMO the insurance price increases are the downside of the of old car values rocketing in the last few years.

I have four cars on a RH policy -the per car cost Vs. value numbers on my schedule are there or thereabouts as against the example you put up for your Chummy.

Some years ago an eejit pulled out of a side turning without looking and T boned my special. There was quite a bit of damage on the left hand side. RH told me to find someone to mend it, and they would pay for the repair, which is exactly what they did without any fuss or nitpicking. This is the main reason why I am reluctant to change insurers.
I have just renewed my 1935 Ruby with RH. Unlimited mileage protected value of £5,500 (must get that increased). Up until 2 years ago when I and my wife were the only drivers the cost was around £60.00. For the last two years I have had my son as a named driver and the price rocketed to around £100,00. This year £111.00. My son had a bad claims record with his works car not that he had any real accidents he just kept getting bumped in supermarket car parks whilst left unattended and because it was a works vehicle they always informed the insures. Of course now there is also the insurance tax which puts up the price.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thank you all so far, some good points.

I've not argued the price rises before but this year. As I say lockdown, now we are allowed out there is no were to go? I'll be lucky if either car does 100 mile each.

R, I appreciate your point of under 1%. But that value for money only comes in if we join you all next year for 750 miles around Scotland. Subject to further lockdown of course.

For this year, 2 cars at just over £300 for 200 miles?. All of a sudden PETROL feels more value for money than insurance. ( never thought Id EVER EVER say that).

I hate to say this bit, but I see some more old cars coming onto the market. Many of them mine Angry

TONY.
A question for Tony and others who own more than one pre war car. Is it possible to have all your cars on one insurance policy and if so does it make things cheaper. After all you can only drive one at once.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi john,

Yes I have several austin 7s,

The insurance company gives 10% discount for multi cars.

Which of course I can't get because one car is in my name the other the misses.

For alot cheaper you can get fire and theft for the car sitting in the garage doing nothing. But then its money for ZERO MILES.

Is it just me or am I missing something?

At the moment owning more than one car is feeling very pointless. ( or even one ).

Tony