The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unscrewing steering column problem...
Yes Jon, undue the big brass nut to get the centre tube off the box.Hope that goes easier than getting the column off !
Refit the column and worm and screw down tight to stop the centre from turning when undoing the big nut. Terry.
I was only going to disassemble if I wanted to swap out boxes in the event of wanting a lower angle.
But what is the situation with metals - CAN one run a steel thread in aluminium box ok? Or is preferable to have the brass?
Another year, another column. The aluminium/bronze combination was harder than the steel one although ironically it was the same rough old pair of stilsons wedged in an aluminium tube that finally managed it. After some more diesel and nail varnish remover.
For others contemplating bad thoughts, I found that this one was extra difficult because:
1. paint had hardened in the lower castle bits of the bronze/brass bush/top thing
2. heat applied had at some time caused solder to run down from the holes where one would apply a C spanner to good effect (yeah, right) into the threads below. I can't be sure this wasn't me, of course...