The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unscrewing steering column problem...
Stripping down steering box to clean and service, and I've unfastened and taken out the big bolt at the top of the box, and taken out the key bolt. I've WD40'd, a bit of heat, molegrips anti and clockwise.... and no shifting of the column shaft is occurring! 

I've now taken out the arm and cleaned, and lubricated back up from behind. And I've tried securing the column and turning the box.

A suggestion was that it may have been loctited in place. Any other thoughts on how to proceed? lots of Heat?
Hi Jon

I’d be wary of how you apply the heat.  It’s an aluminium casting and localised heat could lead to cracks.I can’t remember if there is any galvanic reaction between brass and aluminium but that could be the reason they are so tight.

WD40 is not an ideal liquid to release stubborn threads. Plain old diesel is better or Plus gas.  

Also I find Mole grips are ideal for rounding off the heads of nuts and bolts! A pair of Stilson May give you a bit more leverage? But again watch you are not creating teeth marks in the column!

Cheers

Howard
Yes, they do, sometime prove a bit reluctant to unscrew but Plus Gas or similar on the thread (WD40 is not a penetrating fluid), leave soaking overnight then gentle heat on the alloy steering box and Stilsons or similar on the steel column has always worked for me. 

Steve
ok thanks. This a steel or cast iron one - could that be the problem re corrosion? Why did they change it back to alloy out of interest?

Re the gripping, I'm presuming the column and the castellated bit are one, so I'm Stilsonning the castellated bit.
Hi Jon

If you Stilson the castilation part you will destroy the thread.  

Cheers

Howard
The castelated part is soldered to the column. Using the Stilsons on the column is better but always done within reason. Yes, if you have a steel box it will be a bit more difficult as an aluminium box will expand (and therefore release) more easily.

Why did they use steel steering boxes? It was they foresaw that many years later we'd find that the aluminium boxes could fracture when trialing and steel ones wouldn't. Wink

Steve
Hmm. well it looks like there has been some heavy action in the past on the castellated part. Some slightly deformed castles.
And I've tried to drift it lightly there with some alloy rod to break whatever thread lock there was. Oops.

What is the worse case scenario for demounting here if something IS already broken in the thread?
Just a thoght; I presume you removed the small dowel bolt, that locks into the castellation?
yup...!
Just to pick up on the best penetrating/releasing fluid.
For some reason I use GT 85.
Maybe I am kidding myself that this is best.
I seem to remember GT85 leaves a coating after use ?
Regards
Tim