The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Pedal Vibration
Presumably you didn't disturb the withdrawal levers on their shaft?
Apologies Howard and John. Of course there is the mousetrap type spring wrapped around the pedal shaft which keeps the thrust bearing engaged with the clutch fingers. The stop prevents the pedal/thrust bearing coming back too far and disengaging from the clutch fingers.
Hi John

Mines a three speed crash box and you are right in thinking that the lever spring keeps the thrust block in contact with the toggles as Dave describes.  

Can you feel vibration when your foot is just resting on the pedal? If not then a weak spring could be the cause?

Cheers

Howard
I am puzzled about the clutch pedal stop mentioned by Dave Wortley. I certainly don't have one on my 1928 car, and I have not seen one in the parts lists, although I have not been threough them all. Is this standard or a one off addition?
The clutch stop is part of the front cover an ear at the top left of the cover viewed from the front it is necessary to cut this off when using a 4spd release bearing as my gearbox has a 4 spd r/bearing I don't have a photo of it. Terry.
QUOTE: I am puzzled about the clutch pedal stop mentioned by Dave Wortley. I certainly don't have one on my 1928 car, and I have not seen one in the parts lists, although I have not been threough them all. Is this standard or a one off addition?

I think these were fitted to some but not all 3 speed cars. There is a photograph of a 1929 engine somewhere that shows the part and there is actually a live one in the Bristol club spares shed, lying on the shelf!

A rara avis indeed!
I have just been reassembling the original engine and box for the RN saloon that was my father's since 1936 (and now mine). There is the pedal stop on this but I didn't have one on my 29 chummy. I suppose it could have gone missing on the chummy or it never had one ever.
I don't intend to put it back in the RN but whoever has the car in the future will have the original engine and box all assembled and ready to fit on a home made trolley and 
complete with a list of work carried out on it.
Cheers,
Dave.
Page 29 of the Chris Harvey book. Claims to be a 1930 engine but looks like a 1929 to me with gate change and bacon slicer plus the earlier CAV coil dynamo...….

The clutch stop is clearly visible.
The pedal stop is a little right angle bracket held on by one of the bellhousing bolts and stops the pedal coming back too far.
Does anyone have a picture of this stop bracket they could post?   Is it just an angle bracket or is there an adjusting screw which bears on the pedal?

John.