The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving mirrors
Isle of Skye, on the road from Armadale, where the ferry from Mallaig comes in, to Aird of Sleat.
Knoydart in the distance about 5 miles across The Sound of Sleat.
That was pretty well the view from our house when I lived on Skye.
Jim
I suspect that the answer is very subjective but which is thought better for the driver's windscreen pillar, a flat mirror or a convex one?  Any guidance before I purchase would be much appreciated.
The door mirror on my RP is convex. It gives you a wider field of vision, but reduces the apparent size of everything. For what its worth, I have convex wing mirrors on the Landrover, again to give me a good field of vision.
(07-06-2020, 03:51 PM)John3528 Wrote: I suspect that the answer is very subjective but which is thought better for the driver's windscreen pillar, a flat mirror or a convex one?  Any guidance before I purchase would be much appreciated.
Flat mirror every time- the convex outside mirrors on the modern are too deceptive even after three years of use.

I put a convex outside mirror on the Sports- quickly changed it to flat glass.
One vote for each type of glass; I feared as much!

I too have a Land Rover also with convex mirrors but they are mounted on the wings rather than on the doors or the windscreen pillar.  I shall have to remove one and sit in the chummy holding it to gauge the view, comparing it with the flat mirror I shall purloin from my wife's dressing table.

Many thanks to you both for your views (forgive the pun),

John.
(08-06-2020, 07:19 AM)John3528 Wrote: One vote for each type of glass; I feared as much!

That was bound to be the result!

Personally I prefer convex mirrors to give me the wider view. I always replace flat mirrors if they are fitted to a 'new' car - but I am also aware that when I have sold the car, some new owners immediately change them for flat versions. I've even bought back a couple of pairs of mirrors that I had previously fitted! 

I think if you check your mirrors on a very frequent basis, then the wider field of view is an advantage, whereas if you check your mirrors less frequently, perhaps the 'true' depth of field of the flat glass is more important.

Each to his own, as they say ...
(08-06-2020, 08:45 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I think if you check your mirrors on a very frequent basis, then the wider field of view is an advantage, whereas if you check your mirrors less frequently, perhaps the 'true' depth of field of the flat glass is more important.

An interesting theory to add to the mix.  Thank you Mike.

John.