The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pasting lace
Julian Taylor's Father, Keith Taylor, did the superb restoration of the works Twin-cam that is now owned by the Spollon family (I assume!).   The seat was trimmed in Holdsworth moquette.
Julian does the upholstery and trimming and is on 01757 638310 or julian.taylor7@btinternet.com
The above taken from an old VSCC members list but hopefully still relevant.
see the works Twin Cam cloth pic in the latest grey mag, and Malcolm and several others' contribution to the story! Incidentally, I've now had Brian Davies send me a moquette sample from the (hiding) Rinsey Mills car. It is definitely a dual beige (i.e. beige and brown) rather than the latter being a faded maroon...
The Uncut Moquette in Malcolm's car

Steve
    This is the pasting lace I bought from the Nottingham Braid company twenty years ago. I visited them, and was shown a selection of their products from which I selected the one nearest to what was in my car and they made enough for a car, cost £65.00.
That looks very similar to what I had made for the Swallows. There are about 25 yards in a Saloon!

These days it works out to about £500 to do a complete Saloon interior !

The open 2 seaters don't have any.
I went back to the trimming company after their quote saying that, even if I gathered 9 other owners to come in on an order, it would still be £100 to add pasting lace (albeit 'correct') to a car, which I felt was too much. It's a shame. I was a bit surprised at their quote, I was hoping that a single colour and 'un-patterned' lace would have been straightforward to produce and hence, keep the cost down... Sadly they didn't come back to me with any suggestions as to how costs could be reduced.. :o(

I feel for Swallow owners!
Ah but there is a lot more in a swallow than an RN saloon.
and a lot less in your wallet after having done the job! ;o)
Interesting thread about threads. Hugh, if your car is from April '33, Austin must have changed the pasting lace to thin wood strips covered with headlining cloth within the next five months. My RP is from September '33 and had these as original, they were fitted with small brass nails.
Interesting, Lance. I would imagine that would have been a cheaper option... Were the nails tapped through the wood before the strips were covered in headlining, so as to make them invisible when fitted?