The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pasting lace
Now I have the sliding roof problems overcome, I'm finally getting round to replacing the headlining in my Box saloon after the restoration many years ago. When I did the car, I had to take out the original pasting lace that ran round the inside of the headlining to conceal where the lower edge is tacked into the wooden framework of the body. Does anyone know of a source of something like the correct material? The 'moquette' portion is 1/2" in depth and the 'flap' that is tacked on is 3/8" Anyone know of anything similar?

tia...

Have you tried Woolies?

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/17/trimmings
Thanks Mike. I can't see anything there that looks like a match (unless I'm missing something?)
If anyone knows a source for pasting lace, please let us know. I think it's very hard to get hold of....
Is this the same location as decorated braid, around the edge of the headlining? i.e. is it just same function but on a slightly later car?
Yes - as I said, "that ran round the inside of the headlining to conceal where the lower edge is tacked into the wooden framework of the body" How that compares to earlier cars (I'm dealing with a 1933 RP) I don't know. Sorry
Hugh your picture shows what looks like standard piping sewn up and tacked on out of seat fabric, and if you can find a fabric similar  it's easy to make up yourself. 
Did you see Coach Lacing at woolies part #306, it could be dyed to better match and then sewn up with cord filling. Comes in long lengths to avoid joins, has selvage edges.
More common is the use of Hidem,  woolies part #240C  which is designed to be tacked on but can also be pasted on when the fabric variety is used.  good luck.  Russell
HI Russell. We may be dealing with an optical illusion from my photography (unintended!) The material is, in essence, flat but folded when applied to conceal the tack heads. And is only 7/8" wide when flat - part #306 at Woolies if 3" wide. Hidem is commonly used, I agree, but I must confess, I am not a fan and, in this application, wouldn't be right. I know that sounds a little 'picky' but I'm still trying to salve my conscience for re-trimming the car all those years ago, when now I would have taken a position of conservation rather than replacement. I would like to make one gesture to originality! Part#306 might be adapted but it would have to be cut down considerably and I would worry that the cut edge would fray. I'll get a sample, however, and give it some thought.

What I am wondering now is whether I might be able to commission some, perhaps from a working Mill museum 'oop north' and if anyone has any ideas as to who I might contact, I would be appreciative. Would there be any interest from others if I were to get some made?
https://www.trimmingsbydesign.co.uk/about-us seems to have taken over Nottingham Braid who did one braid remake for a Seven. Why not speak to Swallow register about who did theirs?
There are several firms being spoken to about Repp remanufacture, but there must be something close around which is generic and in production...
Hopefully these photos will better show what I am trying to replicate... The darker brown portion has more 'texture' than the other part and appears to have been 'stiched' (?) Is this the way 'moquette' is made?

Thanks Jon - our postings crossed.. One would hope that something generic that would suit exists, but I have been looking on and off for 25 years and haven't found it yet! The trimming company look a possibilty and I'll follow up with the Swallow Register as you suggest. I wasn't aware they had commissoned anything. I have one or two other leads that I'm following. As I say, I am considering commissioning some, but I would need to order quite a bit to make it viable. The Box saloon will need something like 5m but I bet I would need to order 200m (or something like that) as a minimum so I'd be looking for others who might be interested in coming in on any order...

As an addition, can we try and work out over what period this particular style was used? My car is April 1933 Was it just an RP application? Was it used in the RN? Was it used in the Ruby? Can anyone chime in on what their (original) trim might show? It would be helpful to understand how many cars might have had this style fitted...