The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot Quadrilette
Does the back axle contain the gearbox as well as it did with it's predecessor the Bebe looks to be room for one.
Cheers

Mark
Yes Mark.:

[Image: croquis-coupe-pont.JPG]

And I should have inserted the address of the excellent page from where I took the images (in french, sorry!): HERE.
What a great read is the story of th baby Peugeot. I particularly liked that the top speed in the brochures never went over 60kph, but the driving "instructions" said not to exceed 40! (except briefly!)
I didn't know that the foot brake worked on one back wheel and the hand brake the other.....Interesting! When the front brakes became an option how were they operated?
Didn't realise that it was possible to produce technical drawings pre CAD. Big Grin
Transverse springing was well established by the Model T in particular before WW1.
Sure Bob. But there are other similarities I suppose? Shape of chassis, rear springing. Even engine size.
I didn't realize in fact that Herbert Austin could have been inspired by the Peugot. Now it seems possible?
Also I'm glad of the interest and consideration this little car is getting here!
Renauld, I think I am correct in thinking that the Type 172 with side-by-side seating was introduced in 1923, so any influence on the Seven would have been from the earlier tandem-seated Type 161 (and the pre-war Bébé, of course).
These are Herbert Austin's preliminary sketches from 1921, reputedly given to Stanley Edge for further development; compare them with the Peugeot layout and make up your own mind!

.jpg   1921 sketches.jpg (Size: 157.29 KB / Downloads: 204)
Herbert was a very accompished illustrator and produced professional level drawings, so the Seven musings  do seem vey doodly. 
The torque tube drive as model T and successors was very popular and avoided wind up problems in heavy going, sand,  mud etc as then often encountered. The Seven variant seems complex  and more prone to steer. Did anyone else adopt? Maybe he wqs dodging patents which explains layouts on many old cars. Considering the huge travel evident in trial pictures, it is surprising that the splayed springs seem so satisfactory. Presumably the chassis springs  to accomodate the width variation.
[quote="Bob Culver" pid='46909' dateline='1589746131']
Herbert was a very accompished illustrator and produced professional level drawings, so the Seven musings  do seem vey doodly. 
quote]

Bob,
Austin was well known for continually sketching his ideas when out and about, in cars and on trains, on the back of the proverbial " fag " packet.