The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiet lanes in an Austin Seven
Rocket 88. Written by Ike Turner but performed by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Kings. Actually Brenston was sax player in Turner’s band, The Kings of Rhythm. The title comes from a model of Oldsmobile
Alan Fairless
(15-05-2020, 10:51 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: But not beyond living memory - here's Tony complete with tie in off-road mode (you can tell this is serious, he's rolled his sleeves up!):
True - and how odd it seems today that until the early 1970s, wearing a tie was considered perfectly normal, even when dressed in casual attire. Even beyond that, in some cases, it still continued - colleagues on an exchange visit to the south of France in 1985, being startled by the appearance (in the 35+ heat) of David in a woollen suit with waistcoat, tie and brogue shoes. The next year another trip was planned and his wife, Dorothy, was asked if David was coming as well. She said he wasn't, with the staff wit retorting, "Why, has he run out of warm clothes?"
It was the "Easter Holiday Number".
My step-father usually wore a tweed suit, collar and tie for gardening, into the 1980s. No hat though.  Incidentally, when he had been with the same car insurance company for 50 years they presented him with a bottle of scotch.  No expense spared!
Rocket 88 was a favoured car at the time and I always thought it was referring to 8-8 boogie-woogie tempo rather than cubic capacity...sad old git still playing the piano Doris
The Rocket88 was arguably the first real muscle car. Essentially an Oldsmobile 98 engine in a 78 chassis it had 135 hp ( a lot at the time) in a lightweight chassis. Coincidentally an 88 is a jazz name fora piano - 88 keys, see. Appropriate.
Alan Fairless
"But not beyond living memory - here's Tony complete with tie in off-road mode (you can tell this is serious, he's rolled his sleeves up!):"

And taken off his coat and hat  Big Grin
(15-05-2020, 10:51 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: But not beyond living memory - here's Tony complete with tie in off-road mode (you can tell this is serious, he's rolled his sleeves up!):
It's winter; snow on the ground; garage doors open, immaculate shirt and tie; getting to work.

(15-05-2020, 04:51 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: It was the "Easter Holiday Number".
Thanks! I should have read the half-cut-off text before painting over it...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here's a nice road for a Seven, I doubt anything else can get down it.