The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiet lanes in an Austin Seven
Quiet lanes in an Austin Seven - one can dream.... The magazine was dated 1929 and the edition the "Easter Holiday Number".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My! So formal for a country run- him hat with no doubt collar and tie with shoes,  her with hat, white gloves and no doubt high heels, daughter with hat and white long socks.  

So much better than the unfortunate track suit and 'runners' for all !
In real terms the cars new were far beyond the ordinary labourer or tradesperson on L3 per week or so, whereas the canny here worker today can afford a near new  full size car, and even the track suit brigade and the unemployed can afford a perfectly functional and reliable $2000 (L1000) car or two or three, with no compulsory insurance.
I have a 1920s photo of my grandparents with 1916 Dodge and neighbour with large pre war Fiat at a local beach. The men (tradesmen) in suit or sports jackets, my father in full school uniform... The cars with immense wheels look like covered wagons in laager.
have you trimmed the cover dates off, Tony?
... a similar scene -  the artist's view was very close to reality in the 1920s:

.jpg   1925 Austin Seven.jpg (Size: 141.9 KB / Downloads: 442)

This car, OL 7065, is the same as seen in the familiar photograph taken on the Fosse Way, and this shot no doubt was taken on the same occasion.
(15-05-2020, 03:45 AM)Tony Press Wrote: My! So formal for a country run- him hat with no doubt collar and tie with shoes,  her with hat, white gloves and no doubt high heels, daughter with hat and white long socks.  

So much better than the unfortunate track suit and 'runners' for all !
Yes, standards, standards. No eating in the street; gentlemen doffing their hats to ladies; polite conversations about the weather; sawdust on the floor of the Co-Op - a lost world.
But not beyond living memory - here's Tony complete with tie in off-road mode (you can tell this is serious, he's rolled his sleeves up!):

.jpg   1968 Beaulieu 03.800.jpg (Size: 143.68 KB / Downloads: 381)
Ha ha! Lovely!
Until rock and roll arrived all men wore hats and ladies never went out without gloves!
God bless Little Richard!
(Although Ike Turner is generally credited with the first rock and roll record, Rocket 88)
(15-05-2020, 07:55 AM)JonE Wrote: have you trimmed the cover dates off, Tony?
The cover date was missing from the scan (it was not one that I'd done myself) but it's from 1929 - I'll add that to the heading - and the edition, I believe, was the "Summer Special".