The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exhaust pipe routing on a box saloon
I'm afraid he's probably right Ivor. Twenty years ago, I acquired a very original 1933/34 4 seat tourer. The exhaust was to an original pattern I'm sure and it ran alongside the tank. Eventually I had to replace it and I made up a new one to the same pattern.
Hi Parazine

There is no cause to be afraid! Although I do concede some of the more rabid responses have rattled me on occasions.
On my RP the tail pipe is alongside the petrol tank , but is not the original.
The tailpipe on my 34 RP is positioned exactly as Bob describes
Well! That’s put a different slant on it!

The car is up on four axle stands, I shall see which is both practical and aesthetically pleasing and go for it...?
The only thing to watch Ivor is with an " under the tank" mounting the tailpipe can be very close to (or in contact with) the forward face of the tank, depending of course on assembly and accuracy of bends. This might be why there are differing solutions.
    Thanks Rekkers, I kept an eye on that and have managed to get good clearance around the tank, I’m just about to make a clamp like Geoff’s to secure the tail pipe and we are good to go.

Excuse the underside of my car, it’s a driver rather than a polisher!
"Excuse the underside of my car, it’s a driver rather than a polisher!"

Don't worry Ivor. My own car's underside is in about the same state.And like yours, its a driver.
On my first RP (in 1959) the tailpipe was under the tank, which proved very useful when the tank bracket pulled through the floor: at least the tank was supported by the tailpipe! I don't recommend this system, but it proved useful at the time.
Robert Leigh
The world is not so set up for the modern car which have a low slung catalytic converter which have been known to set fire to the grass Bob.