The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exhaust pipe routing on a box saloon
I can’t remember whether the tail pipe runs alongside the petrol tank or under it on my RP can anyone help please?

The new exhaust tail pipe appears to fit either way!
Goes under on mine, Ivor.
I fitted mine under and made a bracket for the tail pipe from the luggage rack.
Hi Ivor, Over the Axle and under the tank on my 32 RP.
Cheers
Smiley.
The tailpipe runs under the tank on my '33 RP.
Under on mine
Thanks fellas, that’s pretty conclusive, I shall get busy tomorrow morning and see if the old girl starts!
My father bought our RP in 1940, and before the mid 50s had replaced the rear exhaust with one fabricated from copper pipe.  Although a plumber he was very skilled in mechanical work and  fastidious and would have copied the original. The pipe is alongside the tank, with the top of the pipe just slightly higher then the bottom of he tank. He was not so exacting about the silencer internal construction so with the copper pipe had excellent note.
I just knew you would have a different slant on the answer Bob!
The world today is set up for modern cars wth their absurd ground clearance whereas in the 40s and 50s it ws common to drive through long grass at picnic spots, when pulling over on narrow roads  etc so the exhaust was placed where it had room to give.