The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JOGLE
I've dug out my notes on the Scottish Highlands Tour and the itinerary was as follows:
Day 1    Boltby (N. Yorkshire) to Biggar    168 miles
Day 2    Biggar to Oban                          134 miles
Day 3    Oban to Kyle of Lochalsh            118 miles
Day 4    Kyle to Shieldaig (via Applecross) 60 miles
Day 5    Shieldaig to Ullapool                   92 miles
Day 6    Ullapool to Laxford Bridge (via Lochinver)   83 miles
Day 7    Laxford Bridge to Thurso             89 miles
Day 8    Thurso to Altnahara (via JoG and Dunnet Head)  105 miles
Day 9    Altnahara to Nairn                      83 miles
Day 10  Nairn to Nethy Bridge                 30 miles
Day 11  Free Day
Day 12  Nethy Bridge to Dunkeld             80 miles
Day 13  Dunkeld to Kelso                       125 miles
Day 14  Kelso to Boltby                          170 miles

With a total mileage of around 1337, two full weeks and the cost of accommodation, it would be a major undertaking, on a par with a Euro Tour?
Also, having to pre-book accommodation could be awkward if the schedule got behind for any reason.
The best way to my mind would be to look at the weather forecast, pack a tent and camping gear into the car, and simply set off.  I would try and find a B & B every three nights to ease the discomfort of camping for a fortnight.
The Pytchley would be roomy enough to sleep in with minor modification.
We have always done trips like this by tent and no tight itinerary (same in mainland Europe), have found some amazing places and food along the way.

A time will come when don’t want to camp, so I get that not everyone can do it so freely.
ive never done the joggle run,

but would love to do it. so would tracy.

however, the more back road route interests me more.

however, i would only look to do the run. if it openly promoted our little cars. and the charity funds it could raise.

i remember people doing the last run, and felt at the time. it felt like unless you were in a small club ckick. nobody else knew the run was going ahead. and i heard nothing about any fund raising being done?

maybe im wrong, but thats how it felt.

which leads me onto the 100th anniversay, i know many will be feeling its a long way away. but it comes around very quickly. it could be massive for our cars, and show them in a possitive way to the world. but if its kept to a club thing. we may see another field of 500 cars. if its promoted to the world that its on, and at an early stage. i would hope to see over 1,000 cars.

what a sight that would be.

tony.
(10-05-2020, 01:19 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: My recommendation is that from Thurso (land of my grandmother) you should head West towards Tongue, then Durness.

To Scourie and Unapool, take the coastal route to Achmelvich and Lochinver.  South to Achiltibuie, Ullapool, Laide, Gairloch, Torridon, Sheildaig, Applecross and Strathcarron.  Spend a day in all of these places - at least (some deserve a week, maybe longer), suck in the fresh air, the quiet, the views, the lack of people and then stop.

Then simply don't do anything else, it will be totally disappointing in comparison - trust me.

There are other nice places and challenging roads but, until you have driven the above (in an Austin Seven), you won't understand.

Agree 100%, Ruairidh. A route we've taken a few times (though not in a Seven) and I'm struggling to think of a better one in the UK. Also, a divert South just after Bettyhill onto the B873 down to the A836 and Altnaharra then on to the Crask Inn is something not to be missed. There's a Caravan Club site at the side of Loch Naver before you reach the A836. It's right at the side of the Loch and is about as tranquil a place to stay as I can imagine. However, once when we were there, at 9.00am on a perfect, still, sunny morning, we were 'visited' by the RAF coming down the Loch fast and at zero feet. Towards the end of the Loch the two Tornados turned, vertically, and on full after burner seemed to head off to outer space. An amazing spectacle and the contrast between perfect peace one minute and raw power the next was something I'll never forget.  

Steve
One of my customer's has three daughters - two flew Tornados and one is now a squadron leader, Typhoon now, I think.

They still enjoy driving his chummy though, "Not as responsive as we are used to but both require lightening reactions, at times"!
I know someone else with three daughters, Ruairidh  Wink Just think, in 20 years time your customer could be you Big Grin

Steve
That had not escaped me - nor them!
(10-05-2020, 11:36 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: which leads me onto the 100th anniversay, i know many will be feeling its a long way away. but it comes around very quickly. it could be massive for our cars, and show them in a possitive way to the world. but if its kept to a club thing. we may see another field of 500 cars. if its promoted to the world that its on, and at an early stage. i would hope to see over 1,000 cars.

what a sight that would be.

tony.

Tony,
It will definitely not be a Club thing. It will be a celebration of the Austin Seven and there is no upper limit on numbers. A lot of people are already inputting into the planning and we have interest and promises from around the world. Please continue to watch this space and other social media platforms as it develops.
(10-05-2020, 01:19 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have never done an official JOGLE/LEJOG because it does not appeal to "me".

I have done the journey, many time - both ways, however.

My recommendation is that from Thurso (land of my grandmother) you should head West towards Tongue, then Durness.

To Scourie and Unapool, take the coastal route to Achmelvich and Lochinver.  South to Achiltibuie, Ullapool, Laide, Gairloch, Torridon, Sheildaig, Applecross and Strathcarron.  Spend a day in all of these places - at least (some deserve a week, maybe longer), suck in the fresh air, the quiet, the views, the lack of people and then stop.

Then simply don't do anything else, it will be totally disappointing in comparison - trust me.

There are other nice places and challenging roads but, until you have driven the above (in an Austin Seven), you won't understand.

Somewhere west of Thurso en route to Oban?  Our tour of the Highlands in 1965. I can't remember where it was. Can anyone pinpoint the location?  

This is the next slide in the box. The ferry at Ballachulish.  

Todays piece of useless information. The ferry in the picture was replaced by a bridge in 1975. Not far from the southern abutment is a former slate quarry. Ballachulish slate was quite well known, but became infamous because the slate has iron pyrites (fool's gold) which over time rusted away and caused leaky roofs. Not many people know that.