The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JOGLE
Hi All
Is there anyone organising a JOGLE run for 2022?p
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
The idea has been tentatively floated on Facebook.

My personal view is that a lot has changed in the 30 years since I did it - not sure I'd feel safe on the big roads now unless taking a route way too slow to be practicable for working folk; and there's little hope of planning your run at 'a quiet time' as I did back then. Add that many of the potential entrants are now 30 years older; and there's no Motorail up to Inverness any more.

Someone I know did an organised JOGLE by bicycle a while ago and when he came back I asked 'how many people were killed?' and he replied the event did indeed get stopped while they mopped up a fatality.

I wouldn't discourage others if they want to, and might even be persuaded if someone came up with a proposal which addresses some of the above. It's a very long and not specially interesting race - sorry, drive - though, and at the time I recall thinking I wouldn't bother again. I probably saw only half a dozen Sevens from start to finish, most people had already gone home when I got to L.E. Maybe one certificate is enough...
I always thought you could climb Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon on the way, with a trip across the sea to do Carrauntoohil as well. Probably I’m just getting old but I don’t fancy 6 to 8 hours on a motorway in a Seven.
Alan Fairless
My wife and I did the 50th Anniversary LeJoG in 1972 in a Big Seven. We had a dodgy rotor arm as we crossed the border and lost a few hours while we found a garage that had a replaement - not bad for a bank holiday weekend. In the end it took us 33 hours and 45 minutes. We did it unsupported, drove from Berkshire to Penznce, overnighted there, did LeJoG, overnighted in the far north, then drove back to Berkshire non-stop.

NEVER AGAIN!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
6 to 8 hours Alan? I take it you mean it isn't all motorway...

You can indeed 'make a holiday' of it but as a working person I need to squeeze it into a long weekend, if planning a 2-week trip I can think of things I'd rather do.
I never really saw the point of doing it in less than 24 hours. I’d rather enjoy myself on the way. Like the Beaujolais race - I always wanted to be last one back, with a case of empty bottles.
Alan Fairless
I think it could be done perfectly safely... just borrow one of these from the highways agency?

.jpg   20200507_180200.jpg (Size: 178.24 KB / Downloads: 492)
hi alan,

dont care were the race is, its the number of empty bottles that makes it worth wile all the way Wink

tony
We have done it three times.

Each time making a holiday of the trip up, taking a week or so.

Coming back in just under 24 hours, just for the endurance of it.

Each time taking children in a modern, the last two times the children taking over some of the driving of the Austin.

Memorable experiences, every time.

I would do the same again (if I'm spared), except that this time there would be grandchildren too.

Even the motorways had a bit of magic - we left at mid-day, which meant the night hours were on the motorway on Easter Saturday night.

As quiet as it gets.   One could run for a long time on sidelights to save the battery, with no-one to see.

Midnight coming down Shap, with comet Haile-Bopp is a clear starry sky.

Dawn somewhere in Somerset, back in familiar territory.

Snow in Johno'Groats, a swim in the sea in the sunshine in Cornwall.
I've never done the JOGLE in an Austin 7 and to be honest, would not want to do it in a modern.  I take the view that using an Austin 7 on a motorway is irresponsible.   They didn't exist when our cars were made, and my experience of using an Austin 7 is that you can make very good progress sticking to the old roads that tend to be more direct than the motorways.
I could organise another Pennine Run, starting in Derbyshire and finishing in the Scottish Borders, using roads that have changed very little since the 1930's.