The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damaged or Unservicable parts
You have a stock of high quality steel and aluminium that can be turned into something else, all you need is imagination, this is the example I referred to entirely made from scrap box materials.

Black Art Enthusiast
That's probably the nicest remote change I've seen.
Hi Winston
I sent you a PM yesterday.
cheers
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(02-05-2020, 09:53 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: You have a stock of high quality steel and aluminium that can be turned into something else, all you need is imagination, this is the example I referred to entirely made from scrap box materials.
This is very interesting, as seeing it, one can start to see the possibility for doing things yourself. But a lot of us don't have lathes or the ability to weld. I'm starting to investigate what can be done with a plumbers propane torch -  could that aluminium weld be done with that? What are the functions at the left hand end and which are the recycled bits which contribute to them please? Is that a spring shackle half way down the gearstick?
Here is another example of things made from scrap, I made this yesterday in less than 2 hours from a broken ruby exhaust manifold. it is to allow a friend to use an SU on his special, it could also be inverted and would allow an SU to be used on a gravity fed car with scuttle tank.

.jpg   IMG_20200504_170921.jpg (Size: 172.21 KB / Downloads: 174)

Jon take a look at Joss thread " column remote gear change" for more pictures
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Jon,
 The brass toward the base of the stick is the reverse lock out, you can just make out the spring on its underside (a cut down
bulldog type paper clip).
  The recycled pieces are: 4 speed gearbox lid, steering box case and outer column, 3 speed gate stick, Ford 10 inner column,
Ford 10 outer bearing race, Ford gear knob,and  a N.Z. rail spanner. The rest being steel off cuts.
  Ali was gas welded, the rest done with arc (lots of build up and filing).
  I also have no lathe so tend to view projects as hacksaw and files (many happy hours).
  Finally, you should be able to glue the ali castings with propane using low temp rods, I believe they are available in the U.K.
under the name Lumiweld.

hope that answers your questions.  cheers Joss