The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 engine weight ?
I recall single handed taking the engine & box out of my seven (1931 saloon with the top cut off to make a tourer.....) in the drill shed behind New College at Sandhurst when I was young, fit and innocent. I cannot remember why I did it! probably a disintegrated fabric coupling & this seemed the easiest way to do it. I did have another pair of hands to get it back in though.[Image: rolleyes.png]
Many an engine has been removed and refitted single-handed by the roadside. As Steve says, they were lighter in those days!
RPM - yes, I think so. I lower it in with the gearbox end pointing slightly down so as to get under the bulkhead, handbrake is off so you can bring the car up to meet it. I spread a bit of newspaper around to limit paint scratching. You reach a point where the rear of the block is up against the bulkhead and the front of the sump is on the spring u-bolts. I then sling a bit of rope around the gearbox flange so it can be pulled up at that end and it 'rotates' into position. Like I said, car by car this may vary - it's quite tight.

It's also possible to replace / remove a deep sump in situ - just need to loosen engine fix bolts (mine are never tight anyway) and lift the front of the engine a fraction, then it will slide in. It's easier to make a satisfactory 'goo' joint out of the car though, hence the above.
Once up a time, when I was young and fit, I used to take engines out on my own quite happily. Nowadays, I find that the services of a well built grandson-in-law is a most useful adjunct. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, it is not so much the weight, even with the gearbox attached, but the fact that all the furniture in the engine bay, from the front of the chassis to the throttle control rod, seems to get in the way!