The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 engine weight ?
Evening all, does anyone know the rough weight of a 7 Engine with the gearbox attached. Mine ready to come out and wondering if 2 people can manually lift it out.
Regards Rob RPM
Hi RPM don’t know the weight, but it is a bit heavy to do by hand.If that is your only means of lifting I would take it out separate from the Gearbox.If your car has a Nippy or similar deep sump it will foul
on the chassis, take the sump off first.
Thanks Zeto, Yes my only means, a Nippy with the standard engine, It is currently in a lock-up with not even the comforts of electricity , so restoration is very difficult.
my house Garage has other vintage toys taking up space. next move double garage, Yea !
Juggling workspace is one of the core restoration skills in my experience!

I certainly did lift out engines manually in my youth, but a block and tackle is infinitely easier and kinder to your back. Probably your lock-up doesn't have a suitable beam to suspend it from. Even a brief incursion into No.1 garage might solve that.

I can get the engine out of my Ulster rep with a deep sump attached - ideally with head and rearmost two studs removed, and flywheel cover off. You have to rotate the front up as you lift out and vice versa. Individual cars may of course vary by enough to knacker your prospects.
Thanks, Chris, for that technique will bear that in mind on the initial lift. Please tell me that it's easier going back in than removal. coming out cos have never solved the horrible judder on pull away and impossible reverse due to same.
Rob

Chris, ps standing in front of the engine which way are you rotating?
Rob
I am only of slight build, and advancing years. I can lift A7 engine out complete with manifolds and dynamo. I have a very sturdy wooden box the same height as the front of the chassis, so I can slide the engine out over the chassis without too much lifting. I fit a "t" bar into no3 plug hole, to use as the main lifting point. Once the engine is just clear of the gearbox, it needs to be the lifted and  tipped to the left[drivers side] until the sump plug clears the chassis rail'
 When replacing the engine, a thin tyre lever placed under the gearbox and resting on the radius arms will hold the gear box exactly the right height for the engine to slide in.
John
Last week I made a rolling cart for my engine and transmission and was able to pick it up and place it on the cart. (Look up couch potato on Wikipedia and you will see my picture Smile Two people could manage but to be clear it isn't just weight, it is awkward weight - hard to find places to grab hold and with the two, at least plan out how you will lift.
My father was about 10 stone or less and routinely lifted engine out of RP without gearbox (and possibly no dyanamo) and I did the same when young. )i dont know if that is the cause of my now troublesome back or energetically rowing sea scout cutters 15 years ago when already ancient (many of the youths were shirkers and did not pull their weight; they reckoned motors had been invented to avoid such folly.) The awkward part is aligningthe spline on reassembly.
Great information, it is all helpful being new to these motor cars. This site and the members that follow and contribute have been invaluable to me and would like to say a BIG thank you to you all.
Rob RPM
It is an unavoidable scientific and mechanical fact that engines get heavier as time goes by. A decade ago, an engine would skip out with little assistance, these days the chainblock is called upon to extract the engine, which whilst still looking like a side valve 4 cylinder engine, is in fact probably an eight cylinder diesel escaped from a very large lorry.