The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confession
Maybe it was the flowering kind?
An anorak writes; since Beecham has been mentioned, it is necessary to point out that it was on this day in 1879 that he was born. Malcolm Sargent was not quite his twin, but was born on the same date in the year 1895.
(29-04-2020, 09:20 PM)Steve kay Wrote: An anorak writes; since Beecham has been mentioned, it is necessary to point out that it was on this day in 1879 that he was born. Malcolm Sargent was not quite his twin, but was born on the same date in the year 1895.

That is great trivia.
Top anoraking

c

(29-04-2020, 03:16 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: Sorry Duncan, but your young female musician is as likely to have a viola between her legs as she is to have a cello under her chin!

But let's be fair. Most rude comments in classical music are usually about viola players, so it has "form".

Q: How do you stop your violin be stolen?
A: Keep it in a viola case

and on, and on and on.

c
...and Malcolm was the organist at St Mary's Church here in Melton Mowbray from 1914 to 1924...
hi steve,

must admit i dont agree with useing our cars wilst under lockdown,
for reasons given on another thread.

the lockdown is easing things on the NHS and the number of deaths per day in regulary dropping etc.

but it is one of those things we ALL do, or NOBODY does.

watching the news today, the australians are allowing people back on the beeches, the germans started to lift there lockdown a week ago, "money" and today are crapping themselves as new casses rise for four days on the trot. america have sed they will not lockdown for more than another week. even though there death toll is the LARGEST in the world.

as i sed, either all of us join in, or NOBODY does.

and as the world is not joining in. ENJOY YOUR CAR. ill probably end up joining you.

again, its everyone or nobody.

has anyone else a use for this soapbox now im stepping off of it Wink tony.
I am not sure that I share Tony's view. If one takes the currently accepted view that 'classic' means 30 plus years old, the three vehicles that comprise the Stepney fleet of rare and interesting vehicles all fall into this category.

Whilst I am total agreement that no-one should be using any car, let alone a classic one for going on a 'jolly', I can see nothing wrong with using such vehicles for one's essential travel. Indeed, I have found over the years that using any vehicle on a fairly regular basis is the best way to keep it in good running order. Nothing mechanical likes being stood around for weeks and months without being used.

Current;y, the Series 3 Landrover is used for the heavy jobs - fetching coal and animal food, with the Polo and (less often) the Seven for shopping and going over to the horses and I see nothing wrong in this.

If this were a letter, rather than a forum post, I would be tempted to sign off thus:-

"I am, Sirs, your unrepentantly (etc)"
(30-04-2020, 11:29 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: hi steve,

must admit i dont agree with useing our cars wilst under lockdown,
for reasons given on another thread.

I'm with you Tony. 
We rely upon very wide public support to enjoy the considerable freedoms that we have with old cars. There are potential threats to usage coming from all corners.
I appreciate that legally my modern Volvo is a car, in just the same way as my Austin is and that their use might be viewed as interchangeable. However I would hate to create a negative emotion associated with old cars by driving my Austin during lock down and damage the passive support from the public that we all rely on. That, in my mind is the real risk.

Charles
Hi All

I’m with Tony and Charles.

I doubt the general public upon seeing a Seven out and about during lockdown would think...”Oh its just another car obviously an essential journey”.

Cheers

Howard
Hi david,

There are always exceptions to the rule, 

And if peoples modern cars are over 30 years old, I would hope it is only used for essentials same as any other car.

As I sed, it should be ALL of us, or NON of us.

My cars are all tucked away for now, " under all of us rules ". I start them once a month. As suggested they need to be used. Last weekend the 25 refused, so I have work there for this weekend.

Just let me know, when we are ALL ignoring covid 19 rules. And I'll join in. (As the horse will have already bolted).

stay safe. Tony.

Ps, it's supposed to be sunny this weekend. If you are missing your cars so much. Wheel them out of the garage, start and grease them etc. And then push them back in.

.jpg   IMG_0647.jpg (Size: 159.2 KB / Downloads: 133)