The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confession
I built up a new engine for my Ulster last year and it went into the car in December. About 100 miles of testing confirmed one or two things needed more work and the new engine came out at the end of February so I could do that work. The lock down has given me much time to get that completed and I also did some work to the clutch and mechanism and also the radius arms/caster.  However, since it all went back together and in the car early April I've been desperate to see how it went. I've been a good boy and I understand  that we've got restrictions and I understand why. I've resisted, honestly I have, but, in the end and like Oscar Wilde, I can resist everything except temptation.

So, today I had to travel over to our doctors to pick up some minor repeat medication for both myself and Mrs. Jones. 12 mile round trip. Weather decent. Of course, I could go in one of two moderns that are sitting here (or even the motorhome) but, ultimately, temptation got the better of me and I have to confess I fired the Ulster up and away I went. It didn't make up for the fact that it and me would have been hillclimbing on the IoM this week if things had been as normal but, nevertheless, something's better than nothing. I even went as far as buying £10 of petrol on the way back - first fuel I've bought in 6 weeks. 

Please don't think too badly of me Blush

Steve

PS: The car went brilliantly. An easy 60mph on the A645 on the way back says we're going the right way.
Mr Jones, we ‘ave come for tew take yew 
Where felons and criminals dwell:
We must ask yew tew come with us quoietly
Or yew'll be goin' direct to 'ell!

with apologies to Oscar Wilde and Sir John Betjeman
I don't have a problem with that, Steve, you were on an essential journey and as long as you didn't divert from the direct route I don't see how anyone could complain.
Good for you, obviously an essential journey

I took mine to work recently.
I know Wilde was famous for his aphorisms, such as "you should try anything once, except incest and celibacy" but I've never previously seen him quoted on essential open motoring. The things one learns on the forum.
(28-04-2020, 08:20 PM)Steve kay Wrote: I know Wilde was famous for his aphorisms, such as "you should try anything once, except incest and celibacy" but I've never previously seen him quoted on essential open motoring. The things one learns on the forum.

Isn't that allegedly Thomas Beecham? 
"You should try everything once except incest and morris dancing".
He also memorably answered, when asked if he had ever conducted Stockhausen
"No, but I have trod in some", leaving no doubt about his view of the composer.
There is no rule that says one can't use a classic car for one's essential motoring. I am using all three vehicles in rotation at present, depending on the nature of the essential trip.
My favourite Thomas Beecham one was to a poor female viola player,
" Madam, you sit there with a beautiful instrument between your legs and all you can do is scratch it"
My favourite Beechamism is: "Second violin, what's your name?"
Second violin "Ball, sir."
Beecham "Oh, how very singular."
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Sorry Duncan, but your young female musician is as likely to have a viola between her legs as she is to have a cello under her chin!