The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confession
A big problem with lock-down for us, as a business still in full operation, is actually finding any authoritative statement of the rules. Are we allowed to carry out delivery and collection runs? There will come a point where we would either have to, or else close down. We eventually decided this week that we could, as long as we observed social distancing precautions, but I've no idea whether this was actually permitted.
(29-04-2020, 03:16 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: Sorry Duncan, but your young female musician is as likely to have a viola between her legs as she is to have a cello under her chin!
Both polish up quite well.
Martin, Delivery firms are allowed so why not you ?
Manufacturing companies are working, observing distancing,
 "work from home if you can, if not , go to work"
I recall was the mantra.
"We're all going to die I tell you, all of us. We're all going to die." Well, an absolute sense that is, of course true. But now for some slightly better news:

Attached Files
.jpg   covid.jpg (Size: 204.86 KB / Downloads: 154)
(30-04-2020, 03:39 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: A big problem with lock-down for us, as a business still in full operation, is actually finding any authoritative statement of the rules.  Are we allowed to carry out delivery and collection runs?  There will come a point where we would either have to, or else close down.  We eventually decided this week that we could, as long as we observed social distancing precautions, but I've no idea whether this was actually permitted.

The government and society does not want the economy and social structure to totally break down so where a working environment that allows social distancing is possible it seems sensible to pursue employment under these conditions. 
That will require a certain amount of fetching and carrying. I can see no reason why our private motor cars of any age should not be used for essential journeys. 
The occasional trips I have made in the Austin have elicited a positive response— I was careful not to go out on drive it day.
Not using a Seven because someone might think you are enjoying yourself irresponsibly is a bit sad.

Charles — also in deepest Norfolk
I own up to my error, yes it was a cello but I've been struggling with what's left of my Brian..
Posting this as a counterpoint to Tony's rather happy percentages.

UK Population (2018) 66,270,000
Proportion over 65 years 11.58% (7,674,066)

Covid-19 fatality % in over 65s 10% approx (range is 3.41% to 15.9%)
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30257-7/fulltext

Unless exponential spread is prevented (i.e. every carrier infects less than one other person) some 750,000 UK over 65s would die in the first wave, which means about 90% survive.

I think this proportion, which is neither high nor low, is the nub of our problem, 9 out of 10 is not bad odds if you're a glass half full sort of bloke; by way of comparison the fatality rate for SARS in over 65s is well over 50%, so you really do not want that. 

We are currently shielding a vulnerable relative, so we only leave the house to drive to hospital and back (and I can't get to my workshop). To be frank, agonising over whether to take the seven or the fiesta to the shops seems like a very high class problem!

If I did have the choice to make, I think I would take the fiesta since to take the seven could look like gallivanting, and if two of the people who see me decide they too deserve a bit of a jolly, well we're back to our old friend exponential growth. On reflection, probably ok to take the seven so long as you don't smile too much!

Looking at these numbers, you can see why Dominic Cummings apparently felt herd immunity at the cost of a few oldies snuffing it was a good bet, and if you're a cynic you might think he could well have seen it as a bit of a result. Today's Oscarism: Cynic - "A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing". (Lady Windermere's Fan)