The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 speed dog ramp
My friend Neil Beken is rebuilding a three speed box and is considering ramping the dogs to improve the speed of change up into top. I have not personally carried out this modification has anyone got experience of positives or pitfalls? And can anyone provide photos showing how deep and the angle of the relief
Black Art Enthusiast
I have the 'Andes' 2nd gear wheels supplied by Andy Bird. He ramps the dog for engaging top on the 2nd gear wheel. It works well. Engaging top gear is much easier and it can just be pushed straight in if necessary. Very useful when hill climbing, it avoids the embarrassing situation of losing so much speed in the gearchange that I have to go straight back down into 2nd. I also have a lightened flywheel which helps too.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I understand the logic and think I know the best way to ramp the dog, BUT my thoughts are not based on experience so I was hoping someone would have some pictures/dimensions of previously successful ramping. I feel that even a comparatively shallow ramp at quite a shallow angle on the face of dog would help considerably.
Black Art Enthusiast

Hi Ian, here is a picture of an Andes gear, I have not fitted them yet so can't comment on how well they work. Best Wishes Gene
It works well.
Jim
Do the "Andes" 2nd gears require a corresponding ramp on the 1st motion shaft dog?
Thanks that picture confirms my thinking we shall proceed down that route

PS I have just realized that as I am over with Joss and on his laptop it comes up as if he has responded, so to clarify this is Ian thanking you for your responses
Just be sure you ramp the correct sideĀ  Big Grin Big Grin
Just ramping the one side seems to work fine.
Jim
Jim, I feel ramping both sides would be a mistake, the ramp would need to be on the side of the dog not normally loaded, if you ramp both sides of the same gear you defeat the object of catching the corresponding gear. If you ramp the ist motion shaft and the 2nd gear, or cut the ramp too deeply you run the risk of it jumping out of gear on the over run.

Thanks again for everyones input.
Black Art Enthusiast