The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engines
Keep in mind that the Austin 7 chassis is an 'A' frame as opposed to most cars with parallell front chassis, often limiting options.
How about a motorcycle engine? Lots in scrap yards for not too much money - or just buy a cosmetically neglected complete bike. A friend built a JZR 3-wheeler kit car powered by a 500 cc, water-cooled Honda CX V-twin engine with integral 5-speed gearbox and shaft drive. The car weighed about 500 kg with the engine giving a modest 50 b.h.p or so. The performance? With around 100 b.h.p. per ton, pretty decent. He was tempted to fit the CCX560 turbo with 100 b.h.p. but thought that might be overkill - in more ways than one.
I had a CX500EC model. A great bike; rather top-heavy but beautifully finished; smooth; economical; fast enough for most occasions and dead reliable.
There is an A7 special about with a CX engine. However Honda CX500s are as rare as rocking horse poo these days but there are plenty of other similar bikes about, such as a Moto Guzzi V twin, Yamaha 750 triple or even a Honda Pan European V4. You might even find a Gold Wing 6 cyl with auto box (although the flat engine might be a squeeze)... All these have integral gearboxes with shaft drive. The Moto Guzzis are already used in three wheeler applications, 500, 750 or 1000cc. Or you could be really lucky and find a crashed but salvageable Triumph Rocket III - that would be interesting!
How about a Harley engine,Older the better.Belt or chain to a countershaft and chain drive to a modified rear axle.
Google Ms Backfire  the BAC special or Nick Allen who built a 3 wheeler for the rear axle detail.
(22-01-2020, 03:36 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: How about a Harley engine,Older the better.Belt or chain to a countershaft and chain drive to a modified rear axle.
Google Ms Backfire  the BAC special or Nick Allen who built a 3 wheeler for the rear axle detail.

Malcolm and I know of a GN with a vintage Harley engine, Dave. Those at Pre-War's Christmas Trial a few weeks ago might have seen it (but then, only briefly!!). Not a option for the faint hearted indeed, on the evidence of the GN Harley, not an option to try at all Sad Sad Sad

Steve
That Harley engine sounds an idea.  Harley's are everywhere over here- as are older Japanese bikes. I had thought about a CB550 or 750 Honda engine with the four carburetors.  Trouble is I would like to have fun at this and not die.  Motorcycle engine could be the way forward to fit into that frame.  I'll take a look thank you for the inspiration.
Also: There was a contributor on the old Forum who had a Suzuki Jimny engine [the LJ410 800 cc one I think]  in his car and seemed to be pretty pleased with the resulting performance/driveability.
Maybe still a few of those around in Canadian wreckers yards, the sheetmetal seemed to have a very short lifespan in NZ, I suspect salted frozen roads would only accelerate the process.
(22-01-2020, 03:02 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: There is an A7 special about with a CX engine.

The Honda CX engined Austin Seven was built by Odgie Danaan. He has built all sorts of interesting car and bike stuff. He bought an Austin 10/4 based roadster pickup to the "Hot Rod Hayride" weekender a few years ago.
James, how much of a rush are you in? It looks like you are in Owen Sound (I lived in Chatsworth 100 years ago and my son was born in Owen Sound hospital. I am in Etobicoke and my tourer project came with a second engine but I really don't want to sell anything until I know the condition of both engines and can even figure out which was original. Not going to lie this will take some time as at the very least the Vauxhall comes first - but, there is an engine in the same timezone eventually.