The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engines
Hello everybody,
I'm new to this group.  A friend of mine is selling a chassis from a saloon and it is cheap.  There is no engine or box but there is suspension, steering, rear axle and it is the correct LHD (I am in Canada).  Given that there is no body I am thinking a vintage special....... years ago in the UK I used to go hill climbing In VSCC events with my father and his ulster replica.....  My question this- I have a good Morris 8 engine/box sitting under my workbench (I'm mainly into moggies)- this might be sacreledge to many but we are talking about an engineless chassis with no paperwork for little more than scrap money.  Anyone know if the Morris engine will fit- the chassis is not local to me which is why I have not measured it up yet.  has anyone done this before?
Jim Ellis
Owen Sound
Canada
Hi Jim,Welcome to the forum.
I've never tried to fit a different engine to a seven but it used to be quite common to fit Ford 8 and 10's in the '50's.
I have seen BMC A series ,Reliant and Riley 9 engines fitted too so it is possible.
You would have to move the front cross member back to slot the engine and gearbox in I guess and correct the associated problems of doing so. ( Brake cross shaft )
Hi James,
Its all in the engineering. Unlikely to be a drop in fit so depends on how much work you want/can do.

Paul N-M
Trade your Morris 8 engine for an Austin Seven engine?
I believe these differing engine options (Ford 10, BMC etc.) cause problems with the transmission, particularly the half-shaft tapers due to higher torque transmission. Perhaps you will need the last of the Austin 7 axles (the 1938/9 "Heavy" axle) which was designed to withstand the torque from the Big 7 engine.
Is a Morris 8 engine really any more powerful than an A7 we are often joined by the Morris register on runs and they don't appear to be noticeably any quicker than the sevens and significantly slower than my Nippy. When I was racing there was a chap with a Morris 8 special which was again not noticeably quicker than some of the sevens and significantly slower than the quick ones. Personally I don't think I would bother with the engineering, there are other alternatives which would appear to offer better returns depending on what you want from the finished car, particularly if you are not bothered about period eligibility. Probably one of the best options for a late 50's or 60's style special would be a coventry Climax 750cc fire pump engine, light, powerful, all alloy overhead cam and very quick in a seven. I know where there is an unmolested one here in NZ if anyone is interested.
Black Art Enthusiast
A Coventry Climax motor would certainly wake a Seven special up. It might be easier for the OP to find a Crosley motor on their side of the Atlantic. These are also a small lightweight overhead cam engine, and do seem to very tuneable.
Ah yes that is a very good suggestion Stuart, I searched unsuccessfully for one here some years ago for a project that never came to fruition.
Black Art Enthusiast
Youd pick up a 600ish cc 2 cylinder petrol Lombardini or a Kubota diesel from an Axiom noddy car for less than a couple of hundred quid. Or perhaps the whole car for 3-400quid.

Power and torque similar to a 'hot' seven engine. So you could use a seven box and axle etc. The best bit is that they are shorter than OEM Austin so buger all mods likely required to chassis.

I'm told 70mpg out of the diesel is possible.
Thank you for your advice everybody.  This has given me a lot to chew over.  I will fetch the chassis and then measure it up, start to see what motor could go in best.  Here in Canada the A7 is a very rare beast and finding a used engine within my budget will be hard- i have the Morris lump already and it runs well enough which is what got me thinking about it.  I am thinking here a special for use in local car club competition, off road tracks, friends farm tracks etc. , so VSCC eligibility is not the game here.  Things are often done a bit differently in Canada anyway with vintage vehicles entered in events with 90's V8s out of Ford trucks fitted- the whole idea of period eligibility being lost most except the most serious track racers... it really is a case of drive what you bring.   I had thought of a twin cylinder engine from something- but i know of a coventry climax locally attached to a fire pump tender none of which is being used.  That could be an idea!!  Thank you for your suggestions everybody