The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
date my car
I thought that number was familiar! David Cochrane has reminded me that I used to own your car - well, bits of it anyway.

I rescued the chassis from an orchard in Hertford in 1969; I'm pretty sure at that time it was little more than a bare frame. Over the years I collected other bits, like axles, wheels, engine and gearbox, but the chances of the rear axle date matching the chassis are pretty remote! Sadly I cannot recall when or to whom I sold it ...

The only photo I have of it is this one, taken on the A1 on the occasion of its rescue; I could only buy it on condition I also took the RL saloon which was in the way! If you look closely you can just see the rear of 14139 against the front wheels of the saloon:

That's a pity - it would have been an interesting test.  Has anyone got an early car with an original axle to see how the rear axle date lines up with recorded production dates, please?  

(For example, I had a 1928 Chummy - Chassis 59229, that was first registered on 8th June 1928.  The rear axle was almost certainly original and dated 4/5/28. For this 1928 car, the Australian production numbers and the R J Wyatt production and modifications numbers seem to all tell the same story.  The production numbers listed in the Australian magazine give a total of 50225 by the end of 1927 and R J Wyatt's Appendix 2 numbers give a very similar 50179, which would place chassis number 59229 in late April 1928, at the then build rate of 22500 per year.  Appendix 3 in R J Wyatt's book lists a modification at chassis number 59275 as taking place in April 1928.  It would be interesting to check these numbers for a 1925/6 car to see how well they match the published the figures.)
I myself built a 1927 chummy from parts but had to use a new body built by John Heath, the body on this car is an original austin built one , Mike how on earth did you manage to find a spare pram hood body , I know from talking to you in the past that you have restored a lot of chummys regards Rob.
Robert, I had at least three pram-hood bodies through my hands at that time; thinking about it I think I sold one of them with 14139 - it was red with the back panel cut away to make a pick-up. If yours has evidence of red paint that's probably it! I certainly had plenty of chummies through my hands, but most were passed on for something better rather than restored!

This was a typical case; a 1924 chassis clothed in a 1929 body, so the two elements got separated and passed on to different new owners:

.jpg   Picture1.jpg (Size: 55.73 KB / Downloads: 118)
Hi Robert, re Golden Grove Rally. My wife Pat and I attended all the Golden Grove Rally’s in fact the first Golden Grove rally was the first outing for our Ruby, which we still have and drive it most weekends. We still have the rally programs.  Happy Days.
S&P
hello Mike I just lifted the back of my back seat on the chummy and the rear panel is the original and has never been repaired as is the floor pan with no sign of any new metal being let in anywhere . I have seen a pram hood chummy at the national rally last year almost the same maroon colour as mine with a rear panel riveted in , I wonder if that was the body you can remember who knows regards Rob.

re golden grove rally I tried to get every car attending on video that day and a lot of owners wandering about it would be great if I caught you that day message me with the registration number when a copy comes back to me I will look out for you and let you know , you might like a copy of the video yourself thanks Rob.