The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magneto Drive Gear assembly problem
Thanks to all who posted here with help and those who rang me at home. 

I have decided to fit a sealed bearing and make up an aluminium spacer to replace the felt seal and plate that will locate the magneto drive gear in the right relationship with the idler gear (I hope!!!)

I elected to use a sealed ball race and make a spacer to fill the seal void and position the gear. The above photo shows that the mag gear does not quite align with the intermediate gear. When I attached the timing gear cover plate I found, to my cost, that the bearing that engages the cover plate sticks out too far and I managed to snap off a bit of the cover plate ( ham fisted so and so!!) Angry

1) Did the gear originally not align with the intermediate gear? I cant see for the life of me how it could. I need to find another 3 to 4 mm.

2) I could  reduce the thickness of my seal replacing spacer but this would cause even more serious misalignment of the gears.

3) I could reduce the boss on the timing gear to bring the bearing further in .

Number 3 is my favoured option but I'm a bit reluctant to modify a standard component when I don't fully understand why I should need to do it.

Can any body help and guide me or offer any other solutions?
I think you have fitted the intermediate gear the wrong way round - it should sit well back from the vernier drive. If you leave it like that it will touch the vernier drive front bearing location ring and make quite a noise.
This is the best photo of the correct positioning I can find...

Thanks Ruairidh,
Thanks for that, I’ll nip out to the shed to check after the rugby.

By the way I don’t have the bearing location ring, it wasn’t there when I dismantled the engine. How crucial is it ? Should I make a new one?
Is the idler gear proud on the crank side as well? That's your clue.

I forgot the extra location washer once and it didn't seem to matter. However guilt got the better of me and I replaced it shortly afterwards.

Charles
(09-02-2020, 03:19 PM)Andy Cawley Wrote: Thanks Ruairidh,
Thanks for that, I’ll nip out to the shed to check after the rugby.

By the way I don’t have the bearing location ring, it wasn’t there when I dismantled the engine. How crucial is it ? Should I make a new one?

I have new in stock, if you require one email me on dunford1@aol.com
Rugby now watched, shed visited and lo and behold idler gear was on the wrong way round.

Simples!!!!!!

Many thanks to all who have guided me, what could possibly go wrong now Rolleyes?

Now to the shed to reduce the felt seal replacement by 1.4 mm and then all should be well.
Those damn magneto engines again, Andrew Rolleyes Rolleyes !

Steve
Wink Where's your soul Jonesy?