The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Kiwi Reproduction ulster
Thank you both, I've watched a few videos but my trial didn't seem to go as well as I'd hoped. What wire do people use, i wondered about stainless (the wings are Ali) or would steel or Ali be more papropriate?
Hi Mark,  just use aluminium wire if wings are aluminium and steel if work is steel.   Obviously steel will react with the aluminium over time.. stainless is probably a fight not worth having.
Inspirational work - really is amazing - well done!
Talking of wings, are you going for the full touring ones?
Hi Dave, yes I'll be putting full touring wings on.
For wire I use standard galvanised fencing wire for steel. It's 4mm - the good old NZ number 8 wire. In NZ Placemakers and Mitre 10 have it. I think Bunnings have it too but it was far more expensive. Any rural supplier will have it too. You need the soft stuff not the thinner, high tensile fencing wire.

For aluminium wired edges I used 3/16 aluminium armature wire. It's used by sculptors so is available from arty type shops.

Simon
Hi Athow,

What size aluminum wire did you use, it looked thicker than we would normally use on steel wired edges.

Cheers
Marcus
A bit of useless knowledge- the same 8 ga fencing wire was used for Meccano axles back in the day  Smile
Well done Athow - looking really super, and spot on. As mentioned, it’s a whole world of pain fitting full touring wings but worth it in the end! I’m happy to chat about the various things to consider, when you get to that stage. 

Best,

Nick
Thank you all, I have watched Simon's video (and many others, please keep them coming). And others, I will have to try another test piece. Thanks for the advice regarding the wire to use.

I look forward to seeing the Ulster wings being built.