The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1923 chummy
(03-11-2019, 07:52 PM)robert regan Wrote: I think that I may be one of the few people still around who knows the history of this car from its discovery by Simon Mansfield in 1972,or 73.Simon was a very good friend to me we met in 1971 I was 22 years old and Simon would be a great finder of parts he would let me have anything he had Austin seven wise and pay for them when I could.He called me one day to go and see a 1923 car he had bought through a publication called "penny farthing,"  I saw the engine and gearbox +radiator mounted on a frame  and he started it up for me, the first start had been the day before when he started it in his shed and nearly gassed himself because of all the smoke and fumes you get on a first start after many years of lying dormant. When he went to buy it he thought he was going for the engine  and gearbox +radiator but when speaking to the seller and asking if there were any more parts there he told him it was all there with bits lying everywhere , both axles were under a shed alongside the chassis the original body was there broken into two halves and after a good search most of the car was gathered together. I also seem to remember a photograph of the car towing a coffin perched on a purpose made trailer when it was working for an undertaker, I also remember that latter on Simon bought a spare chassis owned by the Birmingham science museum convincing them that they could use the money to help in the restoration of an original car that they owned . when the car was sold by his daughter Emma there was enough parts gathered by Simon over the years to create a second car and Alan Vallance had these built up into an early van, I hope this information will be of use to any future owner  and its nice to write this down as it brings back many fond memories of my good friend Simon Mansfield best regards to all Rob.
It's heartening to hear that so much time, trouble and enthusiasm was necessary to resurrecting this very early and desirable Seven.
A restored 1922 car was OK 6807- owned and restored by Mike Hodgson in the 80's then written up in 'The Automobile' December 1985.

Possibly some unfortunate chassis changes but this was, or is, a very famous car which was pictured in 1923 booklet 'The Motor for the Millions'.

Is it still 'on the road' 35 years later ?
Tony,

DVLA Database shows it as currently 'Taxed until 31st May 2020'.
I understand that it is now owned by Nick Mason.
Here's a drawing that Mike Costigan did a few decades ago. In it are certain clues as to "what's what". Your comments are invited....
[Image: early-chummy-drawing.jpg]
Tony,
Try your '23 Chummy without the fan, yes it will boil occasionally but there's plenty of water in the rad.  A good mag will cope with starting on the handle, although I was warned that the correct Scintilla was not up to the job.  Mine was fine after a rebuild until recently and it looks good on the bench but now needs a push start.  Something else needs sorting I think but the other-half copes with pushing such a light car.  And there's always someone in the pub to be volunteered....
The car's a delight on beaded edge, light and responsive, although the early chassis a very flexible as you know.   I'm sure the sloping screen helps speed.  Take care round bumpy corners.
Being picky, the car for sale should have the Scintilla mag, painted lights, and the control levers on the steering column aren't quite the right ones I think, but need a clearer pic to be sure.
Wish I had the money.
hi robin,

if i remember you wanted some body work the other year. if you still need anything. let me know. its not part of my business. so you pay the bodyworker. not me. i have another person wanting a body. it should be cheaper the more bodies need doing.

i have a contact i have to aproach about bodys.

as mine will need one.

im sure it will get the usual SLAGGING ON THE FORUM when done for being NEW.

but there you go, nobody has come up with anything original in 3 years. restorable or not.

tony
Sounds good Tony, carnt wait to see the chummy finished, hope both yourself and Tracey are well
Tony, I'm sure we'd all rather see a '23 on the road with a new body, rather than a chassis in the shed!
Absolutely! I don't think there is anything negative. It's just the infuriation of those upper reaches of originality which cannot be recreated. And if Tony can't find original '23 bodies, then they MUST be rare...

After all, everyone would be pissed off if two or three holy grails existed.

It reminds me of listings on ebay and good listing practice. If you DO find three barn find 1923 Sevens, don't list them all at the same time if you want to retire to a small, warm island!