The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Building a Special Body
Hi Tom, I do have a couple of the threaded type, but in honesty have hardly used them, I understand your reasoning and can see how your suggestion would work. However I have up to now found that I can control any creep by replacing either every 3rd or 5th Cleco with rivets, this seems sufficient to lock things into place before riveting the rest.
Renaud, if you try searching "skin pin" you should get images of most varieties, the aircraft trade is the place to find all riveting supplies of the type I have been using on this build and as Tom described.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Renaud,

http://www.skinpins.com/catalog/product_...rated-p-14

This is the first page I found, haven't checked their prices, good deals can be found on Ebay too.
Update, the past few days I have be busy remaking my front damper to fit the revised axle arrangement, this entailed making new shorter arms and adding a further fixed and moving arm to the assembly, the pictures should tell the tale better than words. 

Black Art Enthusiast
Very nice, Ian.
What type of steel did you use for the arms?  Originals seem to be a type of spring steel.
I have to make a pair of rears for a Bantam.
Cheers,
Peter
Bright Cold rolled because I had it in stock, but yes I agree that originals were a higher carbon because they harden where spot welded. the outer arms of my set up are shortened originals, the centre arms and the additional fixed arms are the ones I made from scratch. The Main bracket is one I made from 1/4" mild steel 30 years ago and which I salvaged from the original car.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian,
Nice work as usual  of course. Does one know what the modern discs are made of?

(30-01-2020, 07:45 PM)Tom the Blacksmith Wrote: Hi Renaud,

http://www.skinpins.com/catalog/product_...rated-p-14

This is the first page I found, haven't checked their prices, good deals can be found on Ebay too.

Tom, I just subscribed to Ian's posts and your old answer popped above, unseen before.
Sorry I didn't thank you previously. Those pins look useful, cleco are sometimes inefficient.
Past few days I have made some mirror arms and experimented with some perspex to determine the windscreen glass shape.

Black Art Enthusiast
No comment Ian because this is a matter of taste of course.
Yours is good enough for me!
Cheers

When It comes to 'Skin-pins' or Clecoes, you won't use more than my other project, several hundred 3/32" before drilling and riveting 1/8th".
make building a Special body look easy !!! :-)
OK Flywheel,
Firstly what is it and what engine does it use?

Secondly, I presume all the joints are riveted but am intrigued as to the tub of vaseline?
Also as the struts are tubes how do you deburr the inside of the rivet hole drillings?
and finally what grade/type of rivet are you going to use?

Well you did post a photo!!!!!!

Paul N-M