The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 827 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "query" - Line: 1505 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1505 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1510 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1510 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "v" - Line: 1591 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1591 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Chris Blakey - Celebrate the Seven Trans Siberian journey

“Great driving along the 170 from Porvoo to Vaalimaa, all running smoothly (for now!)”

Link to their YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE5_u23...Od66povk3w

.jpeg   E7FA387C-B80C-4F28-BFD4-F43A17D51503.jpeg (Size: 308.32 KB / Downloads: 310)

Like Nick, i am not able to comment on the blog either.

If anyone has direct contact details please let me know - chemical metal will seal it, in my opinion.
It's always been my policy when far from home to tinker as little as possible, as 'well-intentioned interventions' can sometimes make matters a whole lot worse.
How bad an oil leak I wonder?

But, given that it's already off, surely the simplest thing would be to fit the other pump and see if it does work? Won't take long to find out. Or it might at least buy time to get a robust repair done on the cracked pump. I don't use one myself and I'm not sure what it's made of but I have in mind welding / brazing / soldering etc.

As you say Ruairidh, the simple and commendably practical alternative is to bung it with the nearest available glue / putty - I suspect the choice is more about availability and cost than preference (I was looking for glue to mend tent poles in Norway last summer and had a nasty shock!) I'd try to flush it with brake cleaner or similar first to make sure it sticks properly.

If someone has a good pump to send him I could possibly arrange a contact in St. Petersburg to receive it and liaise with Chris for collection, if there is room in his schedule.
An epoxy such as Araldite or even better if its available, epoxy fuel tank repair putty will hold back the leak. I am curious though so to ask a stupid question when embarking on a trip like this, well any trip for that mater, why carry a spare that you don't know works??
Black Art Enthusiast
Due to all sorts of reasons, Chris set off with an engine, gearbox, distributor, dynamo and carburettor all rebuilt or new, with less than 50 miles running-in time together.

The fuel pump was also new, a fine example (we guessed) of Chinese engineering. 

While working on the car we found that most new parts needed fettling a bit before they fitted satisfactorily, so I expect Chris will keep using a fuel pump that is working fine, albeit leaking oil from what appears to be a non-structural crack, to a completely unknown new item.   

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I assume the pump body is Mazak or similar, and so cannot be mended by conventional means involving lots of heat.

I found the "Comment" button worked for me, I had to give it my email address, and then, eventually, my comment appeared.
It's a fair comment Ian, but most of my longer trips have been conducted in a spirit of optimism, or wouldn't have happened at all! Wouldn't be the first time I'd hopefully bunged in a spare only to find it utterly useless when called upon!

.jpeg   F45034D6-D6E6-42B9-A403-9AA178B397FE.jpeg (Size: 117.28 KB / Downloads: 171)
Thanks for posting the updates Ruairidh - keep 'em coming!