The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
BRAKES WHAT'S NORMAL
Hi Jon

To be honest its well worth buying a matched set from the cherished suppliers, they are not too expensive.  If you're taking the hubs off (and that isn't difficult with the right spanners!) you may as well replace the oilite cam bearings as well and fit a modern lip seal behind the bearing. I think its also worthwhile to make sure the ends of the shoes are not worn and if they are replace the steel end caps, again not a difficult job (I can send you some pics if you want).

I've had the hubs off several times in the last month or so. Firstly trying to work out why the braking was so poor (wrong cams, worn shoe caps and secondly completely refurbishing the rear axle with the correct pinion shaft and half shaft. I can get a hub off and on in about 1/2 an hour but I bet Ruairidh and others can easily beat that time!!!!

Cheers

Howard
(02-03-2019, 09:42 AM)JonE Wrote: R - would you suggest this as a worthy mod for Sevenners, or does it introduce imbalance/only warrant doing in times of road emergency on a partially wrecked wheel carrier? Will follow innovation if it has pro backing!

It is what 'I' do Jon and 'I' have not experienced any negatives to it whatsoever.

You must decide yourself if it is worthy enough to meet the pro backing criteria.
i came accross a wreck Austin in a garden in South Shropshire. It was a cowled car, with three stud huns. But not a big 7. The hubs were relieved (i assume at factory) as R does it
Thanks all.
Howard - ironically, I'd just whacked the half shafts nuts up as tight as I possibly could before starting to look at the brake levers! And I think it might have been something Ruairidh said or wrote somewhere about "don't disturb things unless you really need to" which I didn't really understand at the time, but after spending the last three months faffing getting the engine running again (after deciding it would be a good idea to try and sort out some minor water leaks) I think I now understand... and so it may be that I do do the relieving of the carrier purely because I'd like to be trying to use the damn thing rather than (even more) groaning in the garage!

It will of course be another weight saving technique, which has to be good :-)

Any one got a photo or remember this being covered in a previous thread?
Here you are Jon: http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...3&cmd=show
marvellous thankyou. I like the Forrest drums!! For others, this post on front levers that R mentions in the thread link above is also a good read generally. http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...7&cmd=show
No problem.
OK Ruairidh have you got an index for the old forum?
I do not Dave, sorry.

You can still search it though.
I’m about to set up the the rear brakes on my uncoupled system
On my GE Cup. How much travel on the brake pedal should I expect?
The max available travel is about 3” as that’s the length of the pedal rod.
Can I expect 1-2”???

New brake linings etc etc.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,