The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front seat fittings 1932 short Chassis AG Tourer.
I'll try and get a picture of the swing arm removed from the body. Some one else wants the dimensions as well.

Will try and do it this weekend (at work at present.......)
(25-01-2019, 10:46 AM)Parazine Wrote: I'll try and get a picture of the swing arm removed from the body. Some one else wants the dimensions as well.

Will try and do it this weekend (at work at present.......)

Many thanks
D
OK, here's the swinging arm:

Followed by the width:

Followed by the thickness:

The diameter of the fixing. The arm is pivoted off a bolt (it may have been a special bolt with a plain shoulder), which fits through the seat box.

There are two types of pin:

The cranked type is for the later seats, where the base fits down into the frame. The plain, un-cranked one is for the earlier seat, where the seat cushion sites on top of the frame with brackets to locate it. I don't know when the change was made; it's not documented anywhere and seats tended to get changed around. I think it was 1928, possibly with the changes made in the autumn of that year but I don't know for certain.

My October '28 saloon has the cranked version.
(26-01-2019, 04:06 PM)Parazine Wrote: OK, here's the swinging arm:

Followed by the width:

Followed by the thickness:

The diameter of the fixing. The arm is pivoted off a bolt (it may have been a special bolt with a plain shoulder), which fits through the seat box.

There are two types of pin:

The cranked type is for the later seats, where the base fits down into the frame. The plain, un-cranked one is for the earlier seat, where the seat cushion sites on top of the frame with brackets to locate it. I don't know when the change was made; it's not documented anywhere and seats tended to get changed around. I think it was 1928, possibly with the changes made in the autumn of that year but I don't know for certain.

That is very helpful. Thanks so much.
One query; does the hole for the locking pin go right through the assembly? There appears to be a hole in the other underside as well, but it looks off centre ...or is it a shadow or parallax or what...I imagine the pin has to go through the seat frame/arm and seat mounting, or does it act as a peg rather than a through pin?
Many thanks for your comprehensive photo's Tim, I shall now be able to make one and I suspect a lot of others will as well. My July 27 has the clip in seat bases.
   regards   Russell
(26-01-2019, 11:15 PM)squeak Wrote: Many thanks for your comprehensive photo's Tim, I shall now be able to make one and I suspect a lot of others will as well. My July 27 has the clip in seat bases.
   regards   Russell

Given the rather flimsy build of the slides etcetera I will stay with my two bolt fixing at the front for the drivers seat in the Chummy and  Saloon - which is somewhat like the hinged passengers seat fixing with two bolts.

Cheers, Tony P.

(05-01-2019, 12:39 PM)Parazine Wrote: The bit that is missing is this:

The seat "hooks" under the flange or slide on the prop shaft side. On the drivers side, the seat is retained by this pivoted arm. It is adjustable in that the ring can be pulled out, arm swung aside and seat slid to a new position. Arm is then swung in and the ring is placed through the appropriate hole

I have quite often seen the arm and ring in a box of £1 items at Autojumbles because people don't know what they are!
I assume that the seat mounting system broke on many cars and the seat was just bolted into position after a few years. It's unusual to find the system intact these days.

BTW, the passenger side was bolted using the aforementioned hinges. This seat "tipped" for access to the rear passenger compartment (obviously the drivers seat couldn't) and could be adjusted fore and aft, using spanners.

I cannot get my head around the picture of the seat base with all the tools,  the swing arm seems to be on the 'wrong' side- no doubt I am looking at it incorrectly-  but ?

Tony.
(26-01-2019, 05:55 PM)David.H Wrote: That is very helpful. Thanks so much.
One query; does the hole for the locking pin go right through the assembly? There appears to be a hole in the other underside as well, but it looks off centre ...or is it a shadow or parallax or what...I imagine the pin has to go through the seat frame/arm and seat mounting, or does it act as a peg rather than a through pin?

Hi David,

the hole goes right through and is 9/32 dia. The pin drops through 2 sides of the arm plus the seat to pin it into place.

Hi Tony, 

Hopefully this picture makes things a bit clearer?

Regards

Tim R
(27-01-2019, 06:02 PM)Parazine Wrote:

Hi David,

the hole goes right through and is 9/32 dia. The pin drops through 2 sides of the arm plus the seat to pin it into place.

Hi Tony, 

Regards

Tim R
Much clearer! Thanks
I made a cardboard template & found the "redundant holes" - not redundant any more!
I even found a shouldered bolt (OK M8, but I will swallow my purist tendencies!)
Now to cut metal!
D
(27-01-2019, 06:02 PM)Parazine Wrote:

Hi David,

Hi Tony, 

Regards

Tim R

Thank you- looks very like my 1929 Holden bodied Saloon (with a Chummy floor pan)

The swing arm is fitted with a 1/4" bolt as pivot- not original I am sure, but on the panel alongside the bolt is as mall plate held by two rivets which appears to have something missing  - could this have been part of some fixing ?

Tony P.