The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front seat fittings 1932 short Chassis AG Tourer.
I have what I think is a "slide" folded into the floor alongside the transmission tunnel which will fit into a fold on one seat but that is all! Nothing else on the seats, no sign of the "peg & ring" described in manuals. I have replacement hinges from our cherished suppliers, but they would seem to be suitable only for a no adjustment, but hinged passenger seat.
Can anyone shed light on this?
Should I have more slides on the seats? The driver's seat must have not been hinged originally.
Was the passenger seat hinged AND sliding (if so how!)
On arrival the car had one dodgy hinge on one seat, and both the seats loosely bolted down and so not adjustable other than by playing about with bolt holes.In fact one swung round on a front bolt & was retained by dropping a bolt into a hole in the seat mounting on the floor!
Apologies for the rather dark pictures, flash was being petulant.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm not aware of sliding seats being used at this point. I can't claim to be an expert on tourers but all of the saloons I've seen from this period had hinged (but otherwise fixed) seats for the passenger and driver. The seats have multiple holes to adjust forward/back positioning, but the only sliders I've seen are in Rubies.
I have a '31 AG tourer. It just has hinges and multiple holes in the seat base. Any adjustment requires a pair of spanners as you move the hinges to a different pair of holes in said base.
David

I put a similar post on during the summer when I was fitting the seats to my AE.

Your floor is similar to mine.

I had evidence of a slider on the driver side, and remains of hinges on the other side. So one fixed but sliding seat (drivers), the other folding (passenger).

The lip forms one side of the slider for the drivers seat. I did have a piece of metal which was clearly the slider for the other side. However it had been brutalised by someone in the past. coupled to the fact that I was sure my seats bases were not original to the car and given Mrs Jones and I share driving position in all our cars with no adjustment I decided to mount the driver seat solidly, as far back as it would go relative to the wheel arch (which seemed to be beyond the available standard adjustment). I was able to utilise the existing holes in the floor and added 2 new ones to the plethora already drilled in the seat base.

On the passenger side, I had half the hinges left on the floor. I used some old box saloon type hinges I had in stock, removed the pins and cut the ear off. This meant they would mount onto the seat base with one bolt each side and I fitted new pins using big fat split pins to allow easy removal. This time the mounting bolts on the hinge/seat base seemed to lign up with existing holes in the seat base if I was not too fussy about position. Thus the passenger seat is a little further forward.
Hi David

My 1930 RK Saloon is exactly the same as yours.  One side of the driver seat base fits into the slide and a single bolt fixes the seat down on the opposite side. I believe that the bolt could have been a quick release pin (cleat and clip?) but the slide on my car is so knackered that I prefer to bolt it down solidly. The passenger seat is hinged with no adjustment apart from holes drilled in the seat base.

In my car the passenger cross member had been moved forward to make room for a huge battery box.  Passengers had to sit with their knees on their chests!  I've move the cross member back but my wife still complains that it is difficult to get in and out  Dodgy.

Cheers

Howard
Thanks for all the information.
Howard, my RK sounds just like yours! Getting my second foot in is the tricky bit!
On the AG I may have a go at making up a "pivoted mechanism" (also "Pivoted retaining slip (sic) on the offside moves laterally") as described in my early (magneto engine only...) Nicholson. He describes a "Cranked pin with a finger loop" to hold the seat which has to go through three thicknesses of metal...retaining strip and seat frame. I shall think about this!
He also says "don't adjust the seat too far back, with the idea of lolling in it" Shades of Issigonis' dictum of not allowing the drivers to get too comfortable, or they may not concentrate on driving!
If it works I may make others for the other cars.

The bit that is missing is this:

The seat "hooks" under the flange or slide on the prop shaft side. On the drivers side, the seat is retained by this pivoted arm. It is adjustable in that the ring can be pulled out, arm swung aside and seat slid to a new position. Arm is then swung in and the ring is placed through the appropriate hole

I have quite often seen the arm and ring in a box of £1 items at Autojumbles because people don't know what they are!
I assume that the seat mounting system broke on many cars and the seat was just bolted into position after a few years. It's unusual to find the system intact these days.

BTW, the passenger side was bolted using the aforementioned hinges. This seat "tipped" for access to the rear passenger compartment (obviously the drivers seat couldn't) and could be adjusted fore and aft, using spanners.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great information. Many thanks indeed.
David (and others I suspect!)
(05-01-2019, 07:38 PM)David.H Wrote: Great information. Many thanks indeed.
David (and others I suspect!)

I have never seen that wire loop head pin for the swing arm - learning all the time with Austin Sevens- thank you Parazine.

My 1928 and 1929 cars both have a bolt in the drivers seat swing arm 'pin hole' on the offside and a bolt in a similar place on the nearside slider in a drilled hole to coincide with the seat holes. 

This holds the 90 year old seat mounting in place under the strain of a hasty braking exercise ! (or indeed any braking effort).

Cheers, Tony P.
(05-01-2019, 12:39 PM)Parazine Wrote: Hello again!
I am now actually about to make up the "swing arm" as shown in your picture....however I cannot see where it hinges! There is a cable disappearing into the vertical of the prop shaft tunnel(?) and I imagined that there was a pivot in the horizontal (same face as the hole for the ring) about there,but I cannot see any sign of a pivot!
I imagine the swing arm has a "U" profile so it latches around the seat & seat base.
The other side with it's riveted slide top I do understand!
Advice please
David

The bit that is missing is this:

The seat "hooks" under the flange or slide on the prop shaft side. On the drivers side, the seat is retained by this pivoted arm. It is adjustable in that the ring can be pulled out, arm swung aside and seat slid to a new position. Arm is then swung in and the ring is placed through the appropriate hole

I have quite often seen the arm and ring in a box of £1 items at Autojumbles because people don't know what they are!
I assume that the seat mounting system broke on many cars and the seat was just bolted into position after a few years. It's unusual to find the system intact these days.

BTW, the passenger side was bolted using the aforementioned hinges. This seat "tipped" for access to the rear passenger compartment (obviously the drivers seat couldn't) and could be adjusted fore and aft, using spanners.