The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Con rod query
Proper job, thank you Terry.
Zetomagneto says "Colin if your rods need remetaling, bearing in mind the cost of this you may as well,for the extra cost involved get a new set of Conrods, as many others will say, Phoenix are fine."

I'm assuming he means the cost of new rods plus shells is not a huge oncost compared to white metalling my old rods.

However, my understanding is that bearing shells are not recommended with splash fed engines, where anything that gets in the way of the smooth flow of oil into and out of the journal is to be avoided. I had this conversation with John Barlow when I called to collect my new crank, but I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

Question: Is it OK to use bearing shells in a splash fed engine with a standard oil pump?
The 3 bearing engine has shell big end bearings and that is splash fed.
When I spoke to Formhalls last year they wanted £425 per bearing for white metalling, I'd like to think there might be cheaper options.
(25-11-2018, 03:09 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: The 3 bearing engine has shell big end bearings and that is splash fed.

As above,

There should be no problem with shells on a splash engine.

It's all down to oil supply and flo.

I understand plenty of people race on these types of engines. With no problems.

I can understand what you have likely been told about shells against white metal. It comes down the thickness of white metal against oil temperatures.

But as I suggest about, people who have sorted there engines correctly for racing don't have a problem.

Tony.
As long as the shells are not in some way obstructing the flow of oil (which is surely fixable if they were) I would have thought they should be better if anything. When the engine is running there is no contact between the bearing and the shaft.
(25-11-2018, 03:17 PM)Chris KC Wrote: When I spoke to Formhalls last year they wanted £425 per bearing for white metalling, I'd like to think there might be cheaper options.

yikes! Could I ask what others pay for that sort of thing? I presume that, if shells are considered as reasonable to use as white metalled bearings, that is reason enough for new rods when presumably one is trying to minimise any form of risk factor for the expensive - or time consuming - operation of engine rebuild?
(I have a set of 3 bearing engine conrods that I was optimistically thinking might be the basis for starting to assemble an engine as a learning experience, hoping that they might be convert-able just because shells seems an easier and cheaper option. But I understand that they aren't... perhaps I'll find a 3 bearing crankcase to suit)
(25-11-2018, 03:17 PM)Chris KC Wrote: When I spoke to Formhalls last year they wanted £425 per bearing for white metalling, I'd like to think there might be cheaper options.

As we say in Yorkshire, HOW MUCH??? Have to think there's something wrong there. Can't remember exactly what I paid last time but something like £60 - £70 per rod. 

Steve
(25-11-2018, 04:35 PM)ISteve Jones Wrote:

As we say in Yorkshire, HOW MUCH??? Have to think there's something wrong there. Can't remember exactly what I paid last time but something like £60 - £70 per rod. 

Steve

We say the same thing in Suffolk Steve so don't go claiming it as a Yorkshire thing!

Either that's the price for 4 or they don't really want your work. 

Charles
(25-11-2018, 05:28 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(25-11-2018, 04:35 PM)ISteve Jones Wrote:

Steve

We say the same thing in Suffolk Steve so don't go claiming it as a Yorkshire thing!

Either that's the price for 4 or they don't really want your work. 

Charles

Admittedly we were not talking about big ends, I hope I have not mis-represented them. I'm afraid I was too busy scraping my jaw off the floor to catch all the details.