The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1928 TT
Thanks to everyone for the information so far, James I would be very interested to see your photos if you would care to post them on the forum
Most of these relate to the 1928 Ulster TT, at least one was taken at Brooklands but I think was worth posting! I must add that I'm very grateful to Peter Warr at the Ferguson Motor Museum for allowing me to copy these but think it would be unwise for anyone to reproduce them elsewhere without the permission of the Museum. I forgot that there were so many famous people involved in the race and like to think that Harry was one of the people who led the movement to call the super sports or its successor the EA Sports 2 seater, 'The Ulster'. 

.jpg   P1010102 (800x588).jpg (Size: 240.53 KB / Downloads: 366)

.jpg   P1010099 (800x600).jpg (Size: 204.23 KB / Downloads: 511)

.jpg   P1010091 (800x600).jpg (Size: 261.63 KB / Downloads: 363)

.jpg   P1010101 (800x510).jpg (Size: 172.5 KB / Downloads: 369)

.jpg   P1010097 (800x600).jpg (Size: 221.67 KB / Downloads: 367)

.jpg   P1010092 (800x600).jpg (Size: 219.36 KB / Downloads: 365)
What a wonderful set of photos; I particularly liked the one of Earl Howe and Sir Malcolm Campbell sharing a flask of tea - just imagine today's F1 stars drinking tea from a vacuum flask!
Fabulous pictures James.  Does anybody know the colour of that car?  Looks light in colour but remember that early black and white film was very insensitive to red light (hence dark room lighting) and the car could be red (or orange even?).  Any details known?

Furthermore, the full sideways view shows the body profile as it is cut out to clear the rear axle and spring.  This is I think the only view of a genuine car that shows it.  The 'doc Bennett' car in Bill Williams' book (the remaining genuine factory supersports which is often used for reference) had a bodywork mod above the rear axle which has been copied on all subsequent replicas.

Great to see these..
Excellent detective work by
everyone who contributed to this thread!
I’ve just started reading Harry Ferguson’s biography.

What a character!

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Brilliant stuff, must make time to watch the Pathe film in full.
(31-10-2018, 11:31 AM)Damian GT Wrote: Fabulous pictures James.  Does anybody know the colour of that car?  Looks light in colour but remember that early black and white film was very insensitive to red light (hence dark room lighting) and the car could be red (or orange even?).  Any details known?

The only colours to be sensitive to pre-Panchromatic film are in the blue spectrum, so this is likely to be a mid to pale blue or possibly a pale turquoise, just possibly green ... or, of course, white, cream or possibly bare alloy. Red, orange, brown, yellow would all appear as a very dark tone.
Thank you James for posting the superb photographs. 
  I believe two cars were shipped to Ireland ,one to compete and the other one for Harry Ferguson. The car that J. D. Barnes drove had an English registration and Harry's one on trade plates ready to be registered in Ireland . I'm pretty sure Harry's car is painted primrose .
  Below is a picture of J. D. Barnes from the October 1928 edition of the Austin magazine which has been retouched and posted by me in an older thread. Note the fold down screen and filler in the scuttle.

Attached Files
.jpg   1421173511878.jpg (Size: 14.09 KB / Downloads: 225)
Must admit that my visit to the Ferguson Museum was in context of cars (it turned out to be over 20 different models) that Harry Ferguson, Tony Rolt, and Freddie Dixon converted to 4-Wheel Drive in the mid-1960s onwards including four Ford Mustangs, one of which I'm privileged to own and when I found out about his connection to Austin 7s, it was a complete and very pleasant surprise. I was also intrigued by the absence of an external filler cap(s) on his car which I thought were a fairly standard feature of the Super-Sports Models, with usually the specific purpose of racing, for the convenience of fast refueling etc. but no doubt someone will be able to shed more light on this.
(31-10-2018, 09:24 PM)James Anderson Wrote: Must admit that my visit to the Ferguson Museum was in context of cars (it turned out to be over 20 different models) that Harry Ferguson, Tony Rolt, and Freddie Dixon converted to 4-Wheel Drive in the mid-1960s onwards including four Ford Mustangs, one of which I'm privileged to own and when I found out about his connection to Austin 7s, it was a complete and very pleasant surprise. I was also intrigued by the absence of an external filler cap(s) on his car which I thought were a fairly standard feature of the Super-Sports Models, with usually the specific purpose of racing, for the convenience of fast refueling etc. but no doubt someone will be able to shed more light on this.
James - congrats on bringing these to light.  What great photos.  Only problem is that they are not of the Barnes car.  It was a distinctly dark colour in the race and it wasn't supercharged.  Hope this helps.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz