The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Once I complete a pirouette (passion restored )
In my dreams
I have been having fun and games trying to release a pair of big 7 stub axles from the beam. I wanted the stubs and i had offered the axle to someone on Facebook... The top core plugs had been soldered in place. The bottom ones look like they have been brazed. After applying as much heat as I could from a basic plumber's torch, I wire brushed as much of the softened but not full melted solder and tried to lever the top plugs out...oh dear. 

Plan B... I welded a piece of bar to the core plug. Heat from the welder melted the solder and I was able to lever the plug out.

Next I tried to fit the king pin extractor but the thread size is bigger than the girling one. A quick call to Robin Taylor revealed the correct thread so I made up another, welding a suitable bolt to some threaded bar. The cotter pins were already headless - one through corrosion and one had sheared. I could only hope they were sufficiently relaxed not to strip the threads on my puller as I started winding. 

Success... well mostly... I said I was only popping out to the garage for a half-hour. Someone was very unimpressed! 

Now can anyone advise on the best way to get the braised plugs out... (insert crying emoji)
I would take it to any of half a dozen friends who still have Oxy-acetylene. Most small garages have it. Mature fabricators have it.
That sounds half sensible... I'll make a fly cutter on a modified king pin. What could possibly go wrong!
(27-11-2023, 02:13 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: I would take it to any of half a dozen friends who still have Oxy-acetylene. Most small garages have it. Mature fabricators have it.

On reflection, not a bad idea at ll. I didn't realise braising could be removed in the same way as solder... I thought it caused a more permanent marriage of metals in an alloy.
Hi Nick

An Oxy / Mapp gas set will melt braze. I find the small set I have invaluable for applying heat, brazing and silver soldering.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Howard,

If you don't mind me asking, what small Oxy / Mapp gas set do you have?

Cheers

Jeff.
Hi Jeff

https://www.fsw.uk.com/category/flametec...razing-kit

One of these!

I started with a smaller set that used disposable oxygen bottles but it was costing a fortune in oxygen.  

Cheers

Howard
Not my question but my answer is Rothenburg. In my experience they make good quality kit. Unfortunately the amount of heat needed for large items will run through their replacement "larger" aerosol size cartridges (Argon/Oxy mix and Propane very quickly. If you can find a variable Propane regulator (avoid cheap oriental ones as they may not conform to UK regs) you can go straight to a10 or19kg Calor(or similar) cylinder.
It's not always necessary to go through British Oxygen Co as there are now quite a few independent suppliers willing and able to supply reasonable quantities without having to take out a mortgage on BOC bottle hire. I gave up my BOC shackles several years ago.
If you ever go to France and visit a suitable builders supplier like "le Roi Merlin" or "M. Brico" you'll be amazed at the range of Oxy-Propane mix sets available over the counter! Refills may be tricky, don't mention the B word, but the majority of aerosol attachments are closer to a uniform standard. Reckers no doubt will confirm!
(I also use a Microflame but that's not really suitable for larger work)
Thanks to Howard and Duncan for the information.

Jeff.