The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I have been having fun and games trying to release a pair of big 7 stub axles from the beam. I wanted the stubs and i had offered the axle to someone on Facebook... The top core plugs had been soldered in place. The bottom ones look like they have been brazed. After applying as much heat as I could from a basic plumber's torch, I wire brushed as much of the softened but not full melted solder and tried to lever the top plugs out...oh dear. 

Plan B... I welded a piece of bar to the core plug. Heat from the welder melted the solder and I was able to lever the plug out.

Next I tried to fit the king pin extractor but the thread size is bigger than the girling one. A quick call to Robin Taylor revealed the correct thread so I made up another, welding a suitable bolt to some threaded bar. The cotter pins were already headless - one through corrosion and one had sheared. I could only hope they were sufficiently relaxed not to strip the threads on my puller as I started winding. 

Success... well mostly... I said I was only popping out to the garage for a half-hour. Someone was very unimpressed! 

Now can anyone advise on the best way to get the braised plugs out... (insert crying emoji)

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Nick Lettington - 27-11-2023, 01:59 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM