The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
The Modern, having blotted it's copybook yet again, the Seven has been sharing family duties with the Landrover for the last few weeks. The cause of the problem was the failure of the petrol pump on the Panda and it proved to be quite a mission to obtain the correct one. The replacement finally arrived on Monday! I am tempted to compare and contrast the spares position for Sevens, where parts are often available almost by return of post.

However, whilst driving the little car up to the horses today, I found myself musing that, since I bought the car in October 2018, I have traveled some 17,500 miles. Admittedly, when I first owned it, a number of problems reared their head during the first year of ownership including relining the clutch, fitting a new rear main bearing, new pistons to cure a little end rattle and sorting out fuels starvation issues, which required the tank to be professionally cleaned, a new fuel pump, new fuel line and assembling the correct carburettor from an assortment of bits. Many of these trials and tribulations are recorded in these annals, and notwithstanding that I have run Sevens in the dim and distant past and am therefore not a complete novice, I have nevertheless been grateful for the advice and support that I have received from forum members.

It took about twelve months to finally nail all these various niggles, and, since then the car has proved to be completely dependable. It is true that the little car is carefully maintained with a regular regime of servicing, something that is true of all three vehicles that I own. There have been issues, of course. I had some trouble with the flashing indicators that I fitted, but these have been due mainly to the quality of the bulb holders and the fitting of an electro-mechanical flasher unit. The only involuntary stop that I have had was due to a stripped distributor gear and even that was resolved within a couple of hours by young Leon rescuing me and then returning with the spare distributor.

Anyway, to return to the subject of this thread, I had occasion to travel to Chirk and then to Acrefair, taking the short cut from Froncysyllte to Trevor over Pontcysyllte, from which one gets a splendid view of Thomas Telford's aqueduct, Photos to prove the point:

.jpg   S02FI001.JPG (Size: 161.27 KB / Downloads: 258)

The Aqueduct

.jpg   S02FI002.JPG (Size: 142.64 KB / Downloads: 257)

Approaching Pontcysyllte

.jpg   S02FI003.JPG (Size: 159.31 KB / Downloads: 259)

On the bridge itself

.jpg   S02FI004.JPG (Size: 118.07 KB / Downloads: 257)

An d, finally, a view of the aqueduct from the bridge

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 22-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM