The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Now that the weather is turning colder,
I decided that now was the time to drain and refill with fresh antifreeze. Accordingly
I have been running round for the last couple of days with some flushing compound in the radiator so, yesterday, I drained the system, (I had to clear the drain tap with a piece of wire), took the radiator off and reverse flushed it. I also flushed the block out, running the hose through both until the water came out clean. I can’t remember when I last did this; probably not since the engine was out about three years ago. It’s surprising just how much crud accumulates over time. Put the radiator back, refilled with fresh blue antifreeze and took the car on road test. All good, so I thought.

Went into the garage this morning and noticed a patch of antifreeze under the front of the car. The drain tap is leaking! Not much - probably half a pint overnight. I wonder if there is any crud left to settle and bung it up again? The tap doesn’t look as if it has ever been off and I am scared of replacing it in case the old one either breaks off or damages the bottom radiator tank.
Ah well, the joys of running a 90 year old car.......

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 15-10-2023, 10:29 AM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM